what's considered heavy for a rider?

Ridg
Ridg Posts: 98
edited December 2008 in Health, fitness & training
just been reading up on some light weight XC gear, and some of the reviews are saying that the "heavier riders noticed flex" etc

so was wondering what is actually considered to be a heavier rider?

i'm 6' 2" and around 13 stone (which going by BMI is "ideal") but is 13 stone considered heavy?

Comments

• no

If you look at some top end xc bikes and parts they have rider weight limits, usually around 90Kg, so you've got plenty of leeway for pies :lol: (also BMI is rubbish for active people, look at body fat percentage or max heartrate and resting heartrate)
  • I'm 6"3 and weigh about 16 and a half stone (its muscle honest!!) and i've had no problems on my XCR.
  • btw, what gear are you considering?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    If can't get up hills because you weigh too much then you know you're too heavy.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Ridg
    btw, what gear are you considering?

it was a review of some light weight rims i was reading
    "Our lighter testers found these stuck firmly to their lines for the most part but heavier riders found them twangy and might be better sacrificing grams for something a bit beefier. On tackier terrain, we even generated enough lateral flex to rub the insides of our forks and some riders found the wheels’ spring-like loading and unloading tendencies to negatively affect handling predictability. "

from bikeradar

was really interested to find out what was considered heavy really.
  • If you want some lightweight racing rims, try the ZTR olympic rims from just riding along.

They'll build up about 100g lighter (dependant on other parts obv!) than the rovals and will be stiffer as you could go 32h rear 28h front, plus spares will be easier to get hold of.
  • Ridg
    If you want some lightweight racing rims, try the ZTR olympic rims from just riding along.

They'll build up about 100g lighter (dependant on other parts obv!) than the rovals and will be stiffer as you could go 32h rear 28h front, plus spares will be easier to get hold of.

i've got the option to buy the rovals cheap (second hand) and they get plenty of good reviews, i'm not really after a super light weight, race spec just something that will cope with XC epics.

Just wanted the check that they weren't going to buckle under the the weight on the first corner :lol:
  • well they didn't buckle them, they just flex a fair bit...

you should be fine and if the price is right...
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I'd say anything over 13 stone is a "heavy" rider.
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    take it back, b*tch! :lol:
  • Heeeellllllppppp if
    I'd say anything over 13 stone is a "heavy" rider

what does being 21 stone make me?
    If can't get up hills because you weigh too much then you know you're too heavy

Not to heavy yet thanks chuckcork.
    Speed demon by night.
    Awake by day.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shocks and forks usually come out of the factory designed for the 10-12stone rider. Obviously air springs can go higher than this. I would say most XC and trail kit would handle upto a 90kg rider with ease.

Really light kit may have limits that are worth checking, and almost certainly use limits. Heavier riders may find light kit too flexy as well.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I was 21 stone about 18 months ago, just over 20 when I got my Cube in July and I'm now 19 stone 4 lbs. I've had no issues with rims, forks or any other kit both on my GT Avalanche and on the Cube Reaction which has way more light components. I admit I'm not a 3 foot drop kind of guy but I do like to get some air where possible and my bikes have both held up well.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    take it back, b*tch! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Not being nasty, just reckon it's what the industry considers "heavy" :D
  • 13st Heavy? That'll be why Endura class a 34" waist as XL then?!