Compact to Road chainset?

R25 Flyer
R25 Flyer Posts: 47
edited August 2009 in The workshop
Just a very quick question that prob needs only a yes or no.

I currently run a compact (50-34) chainset with an 11-25 cassette. When the chainset wears out could I replace it with a 50-39 road chainset? I realise that the derailleur is for a compact (and so won't work with a 53-39) but with the big chainring staying the same will it still work?

Just checking out some of the gaps at the moment. Another option is 11-23 at the back which is a cheaper mod.

Thanks.
R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't understand - why are you narrowing your range? If you want higher gears then by all means change the bigger ring as well (probably to a 53/39), but this way, you're not getting any more gear inches, but you're making steep hills a lot harder for yourself.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    R25 Flyer wrote:
    When the chainset wears out could I replace it with a 50-39 road chainset?
    You'll have a long wait...
    R25 Flyer wrote:
    I realise that the derailleur is for a compact (and so won't work with a 53-39)
    Yes it will work, it will just need adjusting ( assuming you're referring to the front derailleur )
  • biondino, it's more to get a closer relationship between gears to make changes a little smoother on my legs and knees. i'm happy with top gear and never use bottom so can cope with the hills on the way to work fine. i currently find myself at the high end of the cassette on the small chainring and towards the low to mid section on the big chainring, so changes can be a bit jarring. Damn, maybe I should get a ss...

Mog Uk, thanks. the longer the current chainset lasts the better as far as the wife is concerned :wink:
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I assume you are not needing the 21-25 on the compact then - you'll be fine on a 'proper chainset' then and graduate to being a proper roadie....... :twisted:

TBH I only have 39 x 21 as my lowest and it gets me up any stuff in the Peak district.... I only have 8 speed though...

I see where you want to be with the 'straight through' block, as that's what I like....e.g. 1 tooth jumps as much as possible from 18 down.....
  • fossyant wrote:
    I assume you are not needing the 21-25 on the compact then - you'll be fine on a 'proper chainset' then and graduate to being a proper roadie....... :twisted:

TBH I only have 39 x 21 as my lowest and it gets me up any stuff in the Peak district.... I only have 8 speed though...

I see where you want to be with the 'straight through' block, as that's what I like....e.g. 1 tooth jumps as much as possible from 18 down.....
    Children, do not attempt this at home. Grinding up peak district hills in a 39-21 like someone from a Hovis advert will cause your knees to spontaneously combust and your back will have put all your clothes on the lawn by the time you get home. Fossyant is a professional trained to remain upright whilst inducing a hernia at 23rpm on a hill requiring a safety rope.

Unless you have a particular urge to be seen "in the big ring" stick with the compact and narrow the range at the rear; a 9 speed 11-21 will be 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21 I think. Its cheaper and more easily reversible - for example if you want to go to the peak district any time soon.

There are too many roadies on the commuting forum, contaminating our thoughts with silly ideas like 39-53 chainsets.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I can't believe the OP is running out of gear at the higher end.

I use a compact and spend most of my time comfortably in the big ring, but it's not often that I'm turning over 50x11/12/13 or even 14 at 95 rpm unless I'm descending - and even then 50x12 comfortable gets me beyond 40mph before it's more efficient to get in a tuck.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Your mech will be fine with a 52/3 big ring.

You could also fit a 38/52 rings to your compact which would be both cheaper and allow you to change back if you were off somewhere hilly.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    ive got a 50/34,but a 50/39 would be ideal for me
    going downhill slowly
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I can't believe the OP is running out of gear at the higher end.

I use a compact and spend most of my time comfortably in the big ring, but it's not often that I'm turning over 50x11/12/13 or even 14 at 95 rpm unless I'm descending - and even then 50x12 comfortable gets me beyond 40mph before it's more efficient to get in a tuck.

+1 a 50-11 is huge. Can't imagine the OP needing more.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    50x11 > 53x12

in fact, 50x11 > 54x12

I'd just change cassette. That way, you can change it back if you need to, very cheaply & easily.