wiggle

horizon1967
horizon1967 Posts: 55
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
i was on this site about looking for information on cube bikes.Someone advised me to check out the focus bikes on wiggle.And i am very impressed one bike inperticular the cayo expert 2008 looked brilliant value for money.The problem is sizing I am 5 foot 9 and a quarter would the 54 be a little to small .The medium is between 5 7 to 5 9. the large is not available in as it is sold out.My question is would a medium be to small or would i be better off with the larger version.The medium has 25% off and is very temping to get ,but i do not want a bike that is to small.I

Comments

• Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    Depends on your personal build, if you have long legs and a short body then the smaller size would likely be fine. Long body and short legs and a larger size might be better. You would also need to consider if you would prefer to be on a smaller frame as this would make the bike easier to throw about in corners, but a larger frame would be more stable.

You could always try phoning wiggle and seeing what advice they would give about sizing
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    My advice would be to think twice about buying a bike online as a beginner. The fit of the bike is the most important factor.
    There is no substitute to being properly measured and fitted at a good bike shop.
  • Thanks for the reply.i am going to contact wiggle tomorrow i must take some accurate measurements height and so forth i had a bike that was to big so i really want to get it right this time round.
  • impossible to get a number from wiggle to contact sales or support. all done through email
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As a beginner I would definitely go with a good local shop.

The fitting / service / sorting out of little niggles by a shop is worth far more to me than a couple of hundred quid off a bike...
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The bike can be returned to Wiggle if it doesn't fit, just a 20 quid courier cost.
  • It would also be worth asking if they are still running their 7 day test ride, then you can actually feel if the bike is right for you as well
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Should be ok

I am 5ft 9 3/4 and have a 54, it is perfect for me

I previously had a 56 Cayo but it was too big
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you are in between sizes (imo) so should be ok - you can raise the seatpost and add a longer stem to increase reach - plus you get the benefit of a slightly lighter, smaller frame.

the difficulty is the smaller details of the geometry - like the headtube size for example - the next size up will be taller which affects your saddle to bar height difference.
    take a note of the geometry on the site then go and sit on other bikes - feel how comfy they are (or otherwise) and then obtain those bikes geometries to compare - most manufacturers put their frame geometries on their websites.

i get annoyed by the constant "LBS" calls on this site as it requires you to actually have a decent "LBS" to start with! I don't for miles and the one I tried fitted me all wrong for my first bike - Giant OCR (it was their last in stock, on offer and too big for me but they have an interest to sell it over an interest in fitting you correctly!) I only kept it a few months and then tried again (road cycling bug had bitten) then I studied bikes and their geometries and made a decent choice.
    You need to find out what sort of bike fit you require - they are all different - pure race, sportive, relaxed etc - then find a geometry that suits
  • thanks for the replies.The LBS sold me a scr in large 6months ago.This bike is just to big so i don't have much faith in the LBS theory,maybe i just had a bad experience just like gkerr4.I am not sure what to do yet but as Rabcp said i should be ok.As Flasher said i can always return it to wiggle.Sending my measurements to wiggle exact height and inseam so what they have to say.This is more stressful than though. I dont want to make another mistake and this time get a bike that is to small :oops:
  • Better to have views from real life people that LBS people who seem to want to sell the only bike that they have in stock at that time.