Bontrager Select freehub hex fitting

Petromyzon
Petromyzon Posts: 221
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Dear all,

I need to have a look at the freehub on my 4 year old (but only ~1500 miles) Bonty Selects. I can see what I presume is the Hex fitting inside the hub when I have removed the axle etc.

I know that it is bigger than 10 mm, but by sticking my 10 mm key down I can't tell whether it is 11 or 12 mm, and I seem to find conflicting answers on the net (nothing AFAIK on the Bonty site, thanks guys)

Can anyone help me? Much obliged if you can!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got a 12mm hex head bolt you could drop into the hex? 12mm is the most likely size.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Not to hand, but that is a good idea. I may just end up going and getting a 12 mm to try, the only way of getting an 11 seems to be ordering a Park Tool one on line as it is an uncommon size.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Try Screwfix or other local tool supplier. You can take your wheel with you to a proper shop to try the size to make sure you get it right. Seen 10 & 12mm but no 11mm allen keys.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • It's a 11 mm allen key, I bought it to remove the freehub.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    7/16" is the same as 11mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks people, I will go to a builders merchants and look for a 7/16 inch one:) Much appreciated.
  • Can you tell me how (or whether) you managed to get hold of an 11mm wrench?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sharding wrote:
    Can you tell me how (or whether) you managed to get hold of an 11mm wrench?
    buy a 7/16" as it is cheaper and the same size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Whilst I appreicate this is an old topic, I've blown the dust off it as I need to change my Bontrager Select Freehub. Having looked around for an 11mm hex key, the cheapest I coud find was not Park Tools or Wiggle, or come to that eBay, but was instead CPC Farnell who sold me an 11mm hex key, inc postage for under £1.50! Link here in case anyone else needs one.
    http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d02253/ ... dp/TL15048
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Indeed. And the best technique for leverage is to put the allen key in a vise and turn the wheel.