can newbie tell difference

matty 66
matty 66 Posts: 6
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
hi there
between say shimano 105 and ultegra can a newbie to racing tell the difference between these two. also is is worth the price for better gears
thanks matt

Comments

• The levers (Ultegra) are definitely better. Less movement required to change gear.
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    i've gone from sora (lowest in the range ) to ultegra.

changing is easier and more natural and a bit snappier. is this worth the extra dosh? probably not in performance terms much differerence (the 'engine' and getting the set up right, keeping the mech nice and clean all have a bigger effect IMO) but it is a more satisfying ride.

i'd say get the best you can afford as its cheeper when you get it with the bike. and 10 gears is nice. if the choice is not able to afford a bike or 105 then go 105!!

i also went for the tripple and dispite comments from the fashion cycling police would get the same again. just nice to have the bail out option if you want it!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    not really

save money on flash bike groupsets and stuff and invest in the best cycling apparel for winter instead

you will achieve higher performance being as comfortable as possible from good quality clothing by orders of magnitude over having lighter shifting gears
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Yes, you should be able to tell the difference. Is it worth the extra money? Only you can answer that. I'd probably stick with 105 as it's pretty good and, as mididoctors says, spend the money on some decent kit....

... or more cake.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I agree with Mister W there is a difference although the cost against benefit is very slight and most LBS's from experience will say don't pay the extra
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    I agree with the other posts save the money for things like clothing, but if you really want better gears, go for Campag :wink::D
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited November 2008
    Somebody had to say that didn't they. Not helpful and not really true. Both are good, it's just what you feel best with that matters.
    RE the OP. 105 is perfectly good stuff. Ultegra will be a little lighter, last a bit longer and have a slightly better finish. You will probably be looking at a bike upgrade before you wear it all out.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I am a newbie to road bikes and went for a trek 1.7 with 105 and ultegra. it is more fancy than I would naturally have gone for - tiagra would have been fine - but I think the post that says go for the best you can afford when you buy the bike is good advice. the more i use the bike, the more i appreciate its components. and at least you wont die wondering, as they say ...