Grease me up Doris!

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all.

I just got some Finish Line Dry lubricant for my chain, but I'm not sure of the best way to apply it. Do I want to just trickle the lube on the chain or do I want to be more generous and really coat it? Should I be using it on the front and rear mechs as well?
And is rubbing the chain with a cloth a decent way to prepare it or do I need to do a more thorough clean? (I'm quite lazy!)

I got some GT85 spray as well and understand that I should use this on the gear/brake levers etc., but if anyone has better lubing suggestions I'd be grateful to hear them.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    You want it *in* the chain, rather than on it.

The way I do it is to turn the cranks backwards, dribbling oil onto the joins between the outer and the inner plates, one 'loop' of the chain for each side.

Really, you want to be using a degreaser of some sort on the chain with some regularity. You will (should) lube the chain more often than you degrease it, though.

You'll also want to wipe the excess off afterwards with a rag, else it'll attract dirt.
  • I was recommended to me that I thoroughly clean the chain and gearing with Muc-off or similar 1st. this worked a treat.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business