Hernia recovery time

pemsey
pemsey Posts: 107
edited December 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Hi folks,
Had a good old fashioned inguinal hernia repair last week (reasonably impressive scar!) and recovery seems to be going well. I was just wondering if anyone else had had similar surgery and how long it was before they felt OK to get back on the bike. Obviously the first point of reference will be an OK from the GP but as I'm still at early stages some sort of idea would be good.

Cheers
Pemsey

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Had one done (standard mesh repair, local anaesthetic) 21 months ago. All went to plan I think.
    Started just going for a walk every a.m. (instead of usual cycle) after a few days and gradually increased to c. 5 miles over 2 weeks. Drove car after advised 14 days. TRIED short cycle after 3 weeks. It hurt, so I decided to stick with what appears to be standard recommendation of 6 weeks. I guess all sorts of variables - including age and fitness and I've known of people back into long rides within a couple of weeks. BUT I don't think worth risking re-damaging - doubt that the medics would be in a hurry to mend it again and I gather a second repair can demand a significantly longer recovery.
    FWIW, I'm 60 and altho' I still get a twinge if silly about lifting, cycling does not seem a problem.
    Better slow than sorry I think - but I doubt I'd have been so patient when younger!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Thanks for that - sounds very much like the plan I evisioned - though I took a short walk to the local shop and back yesterday (about 1/2 mile total) and I'm a bit sore today. Slow and sure seems to be th eway to go on - a bit like my riding :wink:
    Maybe be back on the bike for Christmas then :D
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    i had mine repaired around 4yrs ago, and it still gives me grief on cold days, as the scar tissue inside stiffens up........so wrap up warm and dont jump straight into stressful exercise etc without warming up first.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy