hi ther

mtbstu
mtbstu Posts: 14
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
i bought this bike for my birthday http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Metric-B ... B0012NRWEQ

and was wondering if these forks would fit for christmas?
http://www.bike-parts-direct.co.uk/prod ... d-cup.html

Comments

• Your forks will be worth more than your bike.

What riding are you doing?
  • mtbstu
    jumps and stunts i can do cross ups and 1 footers. do you think the forks will be good for me?
    i jumped over 2 friends the other day on my bike
  • That's an xc fork, and not suitable for what you're doing.
    If you want to upgrade your fork you post a question in the jumping section.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • mtbstu
    but im a beginner?
  • With that bike I would suggest getting full XTR gear first as those forks are worse than the standard forks you have on your bike as you have two lots of elastomers and coils whereas those forks aren't as good and are very cheap just keep what you have and put on a fixed gear XTR hub.
  • mtbstu
    my bike is really heavy and these forks are really light so i thought it would make it a light bike?
  • Those forks weigh 3.4lbs that's over TWICE the weight of your WHOLE bike you would be a fool to think that it would reduce the weight.

If you really want to reduce the weight then you should drill holes in the frame and the rims and seatpost and sand down everything you can.
  • mtbstu
    will drilling holes be ok? i have already thought about this but thought that it might make it rusty inside?
  • Hey, welcome to the forum!

The forks are awesome, and excellent, but entirely unsuitable for what you plan to do, they're pretty lightweight cross country/trails forks and wont withstand jumping for long... particularly with the carbon fibre crown and steerer!

For your money I'd look at getting a suitable bike for jumping, as your current one will be quite heavy and the suspension will really reduce the height you can obtain! If you've got some talent and want to get more into jumping (which it sounds like you will!) then look at spending your hard earned on a more suitable bike for jumping.

things worth looking at in your budget would be:

indentiti
    dmr
    viper
  • mtbstu
    what about getting a bmx? are mongoose bmxes any good?
  • Rasper
    Rasper Posts: 5
    edited November 2008
    Ride_whenever I put those forks on my Raleigh Activator and jumped them and I'm 38 stone and they're as sturdy as an ox.
  • mtbstu
    rasper do you really weigh 38 stone? you got any pics of you doing jumps?
  • Yes I go through cranks like a swan through mud but I have some Coda Magic Motorcycle cranks which are very very nice I do like.
  • Dude, I raced against Steve Peat with that setup
  • Are these two just taking the p1ss?
  • I actually, perhaps naively, assumed that it was a joke to begin with...
  • Trouncey wrote:
    I actually, perhaps naively, assumed that it was a joke to begin with...

It is isnt it? :roll:
  • Rasper wrote:
    With that bike I would suggest getting full XTR gear first as those forks are worse than the standard forks you have on your bike as you have two lots of elastomers and coils whereas those forks aren't as good and are very cheap just keep what you have and put on a fixed gear XTR hub.

What the feck?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    David Lund wrote:
    Trouncey wrote:
    I actually, perhaps naively, assumed that it was a joke to begin with...

It is isnt it? :roll:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12595062&highlight=

This is his other post...
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I think we've all established that its a joke
    Except some people who seemed to give him real advice :?:
  • Thanks Blackspur, that other lad is probably him on another account, nothing better to do with his life :lol:
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    ROFL :lol:

He seems to have stopped posting cr@p. Maybe he's busy drilling holes in his frame and seat post. Pobably getting the sander out as I write this :wink:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise