Bouncing arund in the saddle

JGS
JGS Posts: 180
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Can anyone tell me how I can set my bike up so I don't bounce around so much at full pelt? I've finally got my cleats dialled in, and my bars at the right angle, but when trying to get a good spinning cadence going (105-120rpm) I seem to jiggle around in the seat a lot more than I do on my MTB. Anyone got a solution for this?

Oh and if it makes a difference, my saddle is the Selle Italia XO Transam that came with my Ribble Winter trainer.

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Why such high RPM? you only really need to be around 80-90 on the flat stuff. That might explain it.
  • JGS
    It's a hangover from my MTB being singlespeed, anything under 95 feels slow and horrid to me.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    JGS wrote:
    It's a hangover from my MTB being singlespeed, anything under 95 feels slow and horrid to me.
    What SS MTB ratio are you running and where?? I used to run SS on my MTB and never had my RPM up at that level! :shock:
  • You're gonna have to replace the legs too... :) Well, 120rpm may be a shade high, but right now your muscle corporation just needs to improve and it will. In time it'll be second nature. 8) Also, have you checked the seat height to see if it's a shade low???
  • JGS
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    What SS MTB ratio are you running and where?? I used to run SS on my MTB and never had my RPM up at that level! :shock:
    36-18 on places like the high peak trail and general riding about from street spot to street spot. The people I ride with are feircely competitive and we regularly cover 20+ miles doing 17-18mph on singlespeeds (on flat) while finding new areas to ride.

As for muscle corporation, is that because I am using a road bike and not my normal MTB? I am assuming it's got to be something with saddle height / position or saddle type? I usually have my MTB saddle so that it's raised to the height of my leg straightend with my heel on the pedal. My road saddle is slightly higher than that, but otherwise set up in a similar way.