Swinley forest?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2009 in MTB rides
Anybody ride at swinley forest?

Its the closest area to me at uni, but have never been there as i'm not sure what its actually about!

B

Comments

• Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    I'm curious about Swinley as well - I live in N.W. London and I'm "close" to Epping - by close I mean it is 15-odd miles to the edge of the forest... But it has been worth it the couple of times I went! But I am always interested in riding new trails...

Is it easy to get to from central via trains? Does anyone do it regularly and is it difficult to get your bike a space on the train?
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    edited November 2008
    Not been there by train, but have started going regular and it has some very good single track and some DH/Freeride bits if you know where to look. It also has some big drop offs as well. Take a quick look at this it has some info about trains.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... ardinal=10
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Matt-B
    Cheers! Definitely sounds worth it - I am loath to get the train just because I don't fancy jostling with commuters when I have my bike with me, nor taking a muddy bike back! But I am hiring a car over Christmas so maybe I'll take a weekday to get out there and check it out.
  • My LBS said i can get a train from twickenham to the stop just before bracknell. Apparently its pretty close.

I may well be trying this place out either just before or just after xmas, so if you do go, tell us what its like!!

Gotta get a load of work outa the way, but if you want someone to ride with give me a shout!
  • We rode at Swinley yesterday and been there once before and can highly reccomend it! Loads of trails which cater for all ability levels from complete novice to balls out nutter freeriders. Dosn't seem to get too muddy either, as both times i have been was after a lot of rain and it wasn't that bad compared to other areas. Have a look at Deadpool and Russalf's vids in their sig's, particularly Russ's Swinley forest trails vid. I'm on the red OnOne :D
  • Matt-B
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    My LBS said i can get a train from twickenham to the stop just before bracknell. Apparently its pretty close.

I may well be trying this place out either just before or just after xmas, so if you do go, tell us what its like!!

Gotta get a load of work outa the way, but if you want someone to ride with give me a shout!

Might take you up on that - I'm a bit tied up at the moment as well but am keen to check it out and would be good to have a riding buddy. Will keep you posted if anything materializes....
  • big25g
    big25g Posts: 19
    Its meant to be really cool there, Im only about 20min from there (Farnham) so when i get my new bike im going to head there. If you search youtube there are loads of videos.
  • Matt-B wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    My LBS said i can get a train from twickenham to the stop just before bracknell. Apparently its pretty close.

Might take you up on that - I'm a bit tied up at the moment as well but am keen to check it out and would be good to have a riding buddy. Will keep you posted if anything materializes....
    Sounds good :)
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    You can get the train to either Martins Heron or Bagshot. Be aware that the forest is quite large looks the same and non of the trails are signposted. You can end up missing all the good bits and spend your day ride around fire tracks. You're best of finding a local to show you around.
  • anjs wrote:
    You can get the train to either Martins Heron or Bagshot. Be aware that the forest is quite large looks the same and non of the trails are signposted. You can end up missing all the good bits and spend your day ride around fire tracks. You're best of finding a local to show you around.
    cheers for the heads up mate :)

do you have to pay to ride at swinley btw?
  • anjs
    Technically yes you can either get a years permit (£18) or pay for a day (£2)

See

http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/index.php

for more details
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    A few of us first timers will be there Sunday for a bit of an explore - check out the "XC in Kent" thread as a few are going from there.

Sounds like the weather is gonna be COLD!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Apologies for the high jack!

I ride at Swinley most weekends, and know most of the trails, but I have never tried any of the Welsh trail centres .How different are they?

I appreciate that they are likely to be longer and have much larger changes in elevation? But what else do they have to offer?

Thanks
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Ive only been to Afan (first time recently) and nothing compares!

Excellently signposted singletrack, red and black runs, you HAVE to go.

Get a long weekend organised and get over there to see what its about.

Im still smiling about it now! :lol:

:lol::lol:

Get yourself on Whites Level at Afan (Glyncorrwyg) and you'll appreciate what all the fuss is about. Purpose built singletrack to test everyone to their limits.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Hey guys,

I rode there last week, actually spent the first four hours of the day looking for a screw that fell off my mates seat, then sent a few hours getting back to the forest.
    Then sent a few hours finding a track - which some people we met showed us.

So we got to a hill top that has four points leading up to it - which is good, short tracks but at least you dont get lost - there is a longer track from there which takes you quite close to bag shot station. Next time I go im going to go from bag shot, the hill is about 300 ft above the starting point, but I think I would rather do that then ride for 3/4 miles from bracknel or martins heron. Because you then have to find tracks from the top look out which can also be a mission.

Anyway my point is I took my phone and marked GPS points at the top of the hill I was refering to. so when I down load google earth I can put them on there which will help you find the start - if you have a phone of gps device (£10 ebay)

If you dont have a pass I would start a Bracknel station and go down, its easier (little longer though) and also some of the trains dont stop at the previos stations.

I screwed my back this week so won't be there this weekend, but for those planning on sun - its meant to be soaking wet. so prob not a good idea - sat will be perfect, and if your lukie its probably going to be snowing - which is great fun to bike in if you can find the track.

The trains are not that packed as long as there is not an event at ascot race way and from twikenham it is between £6-10 so nothing. Remember there are carrages that have bike spaces so you are all good to take it on there, just go to the end of the plat form which is usually quieter.

I banged my bike on the ground to get the mud off but even though I was filthy no one said anything.

Anyway if any one wants to meet up sometime let me know, at least know how to get to the points I mapped, but not everything. Not this weekend since I cant walk.

If you have never been you have to go to the top and get a £2 pass but other then that its all good, id get the yearly one that you can start at the bottom which will make the journey shorter.

Ill put up GPS as soon as I sort it out (mite take a week or two)

Scott
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    So are the Swinley trails OK at the moment? There's been a lot of rain recently...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • anjs
    They drain well and its not really rained there this week. A lot of the better built of trails (seagull, full 9 yards etc) were fine on Sunday.
  • Sat Gust
    Day 5°C NW 14 mph 28 mph Very Good Light rain
    Night -2°C NNW 13 mph 25 mph Very Good

Sun
    Day 7°C WSW 9 mph Very Good Light rain/sleet
    Night 2°C NW 14 mph 28 mph Very Good Light rain

its really sandy so drains well, allthough if your in some of the flatter bits in the forest mut can build up alot, which is fun but can get suck a bit
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'll be there Sat or Sun depending on timing and conditions. I know my way around relatively well (usually find new stuff each time though) so can "guide" if anyone wants to meet up.
  • I am a regular at swinley, and it's usually not too bad in the wet, although I raced in the gorrick autumn classic in crowthorne woods a few weeks back, and it was a complete quagmire. I would have been at swinley today but for 2 factors: It's pissing with rain, and my bike currently has no chain. Arse!
    I live in Farnborough so I'm only 10 mins away, if anybody wants to ride next weekend, message me.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I did that race as well. Put the mud tyres on after practise, correct choice!! :)
  • I had to retire from the race due to the above mentioned snapped chain :x
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    hmm I did see someone walking with a broken chain :(

I got to the start too late so was at the back of the fun class then the bloke in front of me stalled making me dead last! Managed to overtake over 40 people on the first lap though which was quite amusing considering the tightness of the singletrack 8)

I did the spring series this year, first 3 rounds were bone dry, even had the summer treads on! Will do them again next year
  • EFMAX
    EFMAX Posts: 34
    As has been already said.. train to Martins Heron.. you can ride off road all the way there which is smart as the big roundabout just before it is full of crazy car drivers who often have no clue about roundabout lane discipline and its gets scary.. basically come out of train station (London side) head out towards Tesco, turn left at the end of the road and then right unto the foot path.. at the end of the first path turn left and follow your nose.. there are a few roads to cross over but basically the main traffic is always to your left.. head upwards and forward.. over the flyover, pass Coral Reef Waterworld on your right.. up to the traffic lights and the Lookout/Swinley is right in front of you when you cross over.. its about 1.8mls.

You can use the main road which is quicker, just a little more risky..

I love riding there at night and I am a bit of a novice with a degree of fitness, but I would love to meet up with others/another and have them show me around as I am getting frustrated not know where all the good stuff is as the place is massive..

Love my night riding even more and have good OTT lighting for any night time events..
  • I still need to get down here! it'l be after xmas now tho unfortunately :(
  • It's a fairly big area there with plenty of range to suit most tastes as long as you are not too extreme in your requirements for a good ride. I have been on a forum rides from elsewhere on the interweb with a bunch of guys who are great and have a good working knowledge of where to go. The groups are ususally made up of a variety of skill levels so there is something for everyone each ride. There are a few "maps" of the various named trails to visit and there is the infamous gully section where mental people try to hurt themselves (and in some cases, unfortunately do).

Not been for the last two outings which occur every fortnight with the guys as I am suffering the infamous chondralomacia patella so I cannot comment on how the place is right now but I bet it's pretty muddy on the favourites.
    Don't get too close as a broken tail light often offends...
  • im going to swinley this sunday. Is any one else planning to go, weather is meant to be prety gd, well for winter.

Do they let u in swinley forest at night, or are u talking about riding else were at night?

Would have to have a prety good light for a forest. At night.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Weather still looks good for tomorrow so I'll be there nice and early.
  • Got my bike back today, freshly serviced and back in top condition. If it ain't raining I'll be at swinley on sunday (I can deal with freezing cold so long as I'm dry :lol: ).