You Couldn't Make it Up

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited December 2008 in Campaign
Well actually, I rather hope the Daily Mail has made this story up
The five-a-day dunces: One in ten parents thinks Jaffa Cakes, chips and cola count as your fruit and veg
By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 1:28 AM on 14th November 2008

Perhaps it's the orangey bit in the middle which fools them.
For although most of us wouldn't consider a Jaffa Cake a particularly healthy snack, one in ten parents apparently thinks they pass as fruit.
And according to a survey into family eating habits, Jaffa Cakes aren't the only food to cause confusion.

Cola, chips, spaghetti hoops and orange squash are also mistakenly thought to count towards a child's intake of fruit and vegetables, researchers found.
Overall, only one in five families ensures their children eat the recommended five portions a day. And one in 20 children have diets totally free of fruit and veg, according to the poll.
Nutritionist Vanessa McConkey said: 'It is both disappointing and concerning to see that the five-aday message isn't getting through clearly enough to parents. Good eating habits start at home and British parents need to get their children into the habit of eating more vegetables and fruit.'

Parents with under-14s were asked about their eating habits for the poll conducted for canned and frozen vegetable firm Green Giant.
One in five thought that fruit-flavoured sweets, spaghetti hoops and orange squash counted towards the daily target.
And although one in ten believed Jaffa Cakes, chips and cola contributed one in 20 thought oranges or bananas didn't. Meanwhile, 15 per cent of parents said they didn't think it was their job to teach their children about healthy eating.
They believed grandparents, teachers, doctors and celebrity chefs were better qualified to do so.
A university study of the dietary and exercise habits of more than 2,000 nine and ten-year-olds identified a similar trend.
The majority of the boys and girls met Government guidelines of exercising for a least an hour a day, according to the research, carried out by the University of East Anglia and the Medical Research Council.
However, just 41 per cent ate at least one piece of fruit and one serving of vegetables a day, the journal BMC Public Health reports.
Tam Fry, an expert on child health and diet, said the results showed that neither parents nor children knew what constituted a healthy diet.
Mr Fry, of the Child Growth Foundation and the National Obesity Forum, said: 'The major problem-is that we have got a generationof parents and a generation of children who think that a potato is a thin white slither which you take out of the freezer.
'I don't think anyone would deny that the fruit and vegetable message is anything but the right one to give.
'The problem is that sometimes it doesn't taste too nice.'
One apple, two plums or half a grapefruit counts as one of the recommended five a day.
Eight Brussels sprouts, three heaped tablespoons of sweetcorn or two spears of broccoli also count as a serving.
Middle- class families are the most likely to have obese children, officials say.
Although affluent families know all about healthy eating and the importance of exercise, they are in 'denial' about changes they need to make, the Government study found.
The Department of Health said this group, which it called 'The Treaters', was the most to blame for the childhood obesity epidemic.

Daily Mail
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Probably the result of another useless pointless survey. I gave up on that article this morning after reading "For although most of us wouldn't consider a Jaffa Cake a particularly healthy snack, one in ten parents apparently thinks they pass as fruit." The reply you get depends on how the question was worded. Case of garbage in garbage out. The point of the story perhaps....? :wink:
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ok, Ok.....I'm a fool, but, I do like the orangey bit in the middle! :wink:

Oh, now you've brought the subject up, I'll have to go and open another packet! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • spen666
    I'm ok eating 5 Terry's Chocolate Oranges every day as my 5 portions of fruit aren't I?

Twittering @spen_666
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I think you should stop this thread....When I opened my Jaffa Cakes, I noticed a Terry's Chocolate Orange in the fridge.......
    No, no....I MUST BE STRONG!! :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    5 different flavour Starbursts does my 5 a day :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • spen666
    Does 5 pints of cider a day count as 5 apples a day and hence my 5 portions of fruit?

How about 5 cherry bakewells? Surely the 5 cherries are my 5 fruit?

Twittering @spen_666
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    spen666 wrote:
    Does 5 pints of cider a day count as 5 apples a day and hence my 5 portions of fruit?

Even better 10 pints and surely you're in credit? Well certainly in the bog anyway.
  • spen666
    Johnny G wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Even better 10 pints and surely you're in credit? Well certainly in the bog anyway.

I like your thinking

Wanna be Health Minister in my new Cabinet

Twittering @spen_666
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    Yes, if it's the drinks cabinet!
  • spen666
    Johnny G wrote:
    Yes, if it's the drinks cabinet!
    it is but its only got Mc Coffee in it, stored at 185 degrees farenheit

:wink:

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:

How about 5 cherry bakewells? Surely the 5 cherries are my 5 fruit?

I believe in 5 handfuls of barley a day.
    Fermented. With hops.....
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Excuse me but why aren't potato chips categorised as being part of your five a day?

Especially when according to the NHS guidelines sweet potato and parsnip chips do count?

Bob
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Does coffee count as fruit or vegetable as it's made from "beans" that grow on trees?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    beverick wrote:
    Excuse me but why aren't potato chips categorised as being part of your five a day?

Especially when according to the NHS guidelines sweet potato and parsnip chips do count?

Bob

Potatoes usually don't count because they are "Starchy"

Nutritionally what's the difference between half a litre of Apple juice and half a litre of Cider?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Dunno, the cider seems to stick on my belly, must contain more energy.

I must stop using alcoholic beverages as recovery drinks, even if they do help solute balance whilst relaxing muscles. :)