Play in pedals?

catbaier
catbaier Posts: 123
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Right, I'm new to road bikes, but pretty familiar with MTBs, so my knowledge of bike mechanics is, I think, fairly decent.

However, I've been hooning about on my new road bike, and I've noticed that theres quite a lot of play in the crank department. The feeling is of a sort of knocking/looseness, like the pedal or crank has to move a couple of mm before it engages (I don't mean pawl engagement in the cassette either). It's most noticable at slow speeds or climbing.

I know the crank arms are tight, so I'm thinking it's the pedal/cleat interface (Look Keo). I've tried tightening the release spring a bit, but it's made no difference, if I didn't know better I'd say the crank arms are just about to fall off! Do these pedals have a little vertical float as well as horizontal?

In short; is this normal? I'd like to know before I go stripping things down and getting covered in oil!

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    They should feel no different to MTB clipless pedals. I would say something is wrong but have no idea what from your description.
  • catbaier
    Right. I've taken a good look at the pedals without me feet in them. And I notice that I have a degree of lateral rocking. The cleat is attached from and rear and by a small oval pad half way between the front and rear lips. This pad lifts the cleat slightly and, because it's narrow, allows the cleat to rock from left to right. The upshot is that when my pedalling isn't absolutely straight (ie wobbling along slowly, as per usual, or standing up for steep hills) there is a knocking sensation at the shoe and cleat rocks over by a couple of degrees.

That can't be right can it?
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    You have discovered "Float" a few degrees of movement to allow your foot to find a natural position. You will get used to it quite quickly :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • catbaier
    topdude wrote:
    You have discovered "Float" a few degrees of movement to allow your foot to find a natural position. You will get used to it quite quickly :D

I know what float is!! Blimey.

Actually the Look rep was in the bike shop when I went back, he thought it was a bit wierd too. Both the shop owner and I could feel the difference but couldn't work out what was going on. We stripped out the BB lubed everything in sight and tightened everything back up, seems okay now. Must have been a miniscule amount of play in the BB being multiplied by the float and my lack of experience...