Newtonmore to Spean Bridge A86

orraloon
orraloon Posts: 12,694
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
Have not been in this area of Scotland since I was a small 'o', many years ago. Planning a trip with Mrs O for next year, looking at coming from Moray Firth at SpeyBay over to Fort William and then onwards, and wondering if anyone can tell me what the A86 between Newtonmore and Spean Bridge is now like for cycling on. Mrs O not too confident in big traffic.

Few alt routes for going west suggest themselves, other than following NCN7 south down towards the Trossachs and Loch Lomond and getting to the west coast that way.

Comments

• Orraloon

Haven't cycled it for 20 years or so but did drive this road back in May and was surprised at how quiet it was as it's the road that those who claim to be 'in the know' use to get from Edinburgh to Fort William and Skye (instead of Glen Coe). It is a very fast road though.

Hope that helps
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Yup - not much traffic but fast. NCN routes are not for those in a hurry but....

An alternative might be W on NCN1 towards Inverness, down E side of Loch Ness to Fort Augustus, and Great Glen Way (NCN78) to FW. Most of this is rideable on touring bikes but I'd opt for 5 miles of fast road (A82 between Bridge Of Oich and Laggan) unless you want to push!
  • I've ridden it in both directions in the last few years and think it is a lovely route. It gets busy when you turn south for Fort Wiliam at the western end, but it is a quiet, sweeping, beautiful road. Enjoy!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Thanks people for the info. Mrs O (aka orraquine - it's an Aberdeenshire thing) is an enthusiastic tourer, but I didn't want her getting freaked by 40 miles of heavy traffic, with the consequent impact on domestic harmony. But sounds like will be a good 'un.
    O