edited November 2008 in Pro race
Says he's going because of Johan's organizational abilities

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    bipedal wrote:
    Says he's going because of Johan's organizational abilities

How can such a short sentence say so much? :lol:
  • Geeting kinda crowded over in Kazahkastana land.
    Bet all the other teams feel outnumbered already.
    What'll his new roll be? Substitute to the substitute to the substitute, head Lance water carrier?
    Armstrong given them an injection...........of cash, I mean? :wink:

Organisational abilities? Yeah right. Must mean checking all those figures add up. Still, it's the best way to avoid a two year sabbatical.:roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • didnt he retire at the end of the season?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    There was a rumour, but he never confirmed it.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    the rumor was bullshit, as he said in his blog...

http://blog.sport.com.ua/users/Yaroslav ... tMessage=1

He clearly didn't like to ride for Cadel, no wonder.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I don't know whether to laugh cynically or bawl my eyes out - why couldn't they all just stay retired and let the sport move on FFS? :roll:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    micron wrote:
    I don't know whether to laugh cynically or bawl my eyes out - why couldn't they all just stay retired and let the sport move on FFS? :roll:

Popo was never retired so how i am mystified as how he could stay retired ???. Anyway what has Popo done to make you bawl your eyes out and how is Astana signing him not allowing the sport to move forward ?

MG[/u]
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:

Popo was never retired so how i am mystified as how he could stay retired ???. Anyway what has Popo done to make you bawl your eyes out and how is Astana signing him not allowing the sport to move forward ?

MG[/u]

because micron(and aurelio) hates everything that has something to do with Astana/Lance/JB.
    Sad but true.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Arkibal wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:

MG[/u]

because micron(and aurelio) hates everything that has something to do with Astana/Lance/JB.
    Sad but true.

They are not alone when it come to Astana/Lance/JB/Contador/anbody else attributed to Astana logic and rational thought usually goes out of the proverbial window for many a poster in here.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    It'll be interesting to see if he has a better TDF than his p1ss poor display this year.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    So recreating the US Postal/Discovery team with added 'I've done nothing wrong' unreconstructed doper Vino is allowing the sport to move forward? Seems like a return to the dark old days of the early 00s and the rampant use of EPO in the peloton to me. But, hey, what would I know? I'm just a conveniently labelled 'hater' rather than someone who, like all of us I imagine, cares about the future of the sport, its image and ways that it kmight stop being a laughing stock :roll:
  • micron wrote:
    So recreating the US Postal/Discovery team with added 'I've done nothing wrong' unreconstructed doper Vino is allowing the sport to move forward? Seems like a return to the dark old days of the early 00s and the rampant use of EPO in the peloton to me. But, hey, what would I know? I'm just a conveniently labelled 'hater' rather than someone who, like all of us I imagine, cares about the future of the sport, its image and ways that it kmight stop being a laughing stock :roll:

Indeed. They're a two-faced bunch. :lol:
  • Micron, you are missing the point. All haters are the same; wanting the sport to move on.
    Pointless.
    Far better to have the sport do "Groundhog Day" around the year 2002. :wink:
  • Yeah, and the French not training hard enough(!)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,931
    Geeting kinda crowded over in Kazahkastana land.
    Bet all the other teams feel outnumbered already.
    What'll his new roll be? Substitute to the substitute to the substitute, head Lance water carrier?
    Armstrong given them an injection...........of cash, I mean? :wink:

Organisational abilities? Yeah right. Must mean checking all those figures add up. Still, it's the best way to avoid a two year sabbatical.:roll:

get 'em al on one team and then ban the team...

sorted
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dulldave wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see if he has a better TDF than his p1ss poor display this year.

Yeah - and who here is cynical enough to suggest Popo becomes a great Super-Domestique again???

If Popo has a great 09, is it :

- Just because he didn't like Cadel and couldn't bury himself for the Aussie in contrast to either LA and Alberto?
    - Or is it as simple as Bruyneel just having a superior training programme that gets the best out of the Ukranian?

In all honesty, it is probably the first point. Yaroslav had a poor 06 Tdf when Discover lacked a clear leader (winning the stage to Carcassonne wasn't even a consolation after finishing over 50 minutes down, when initially he was considered a 'co-leader').
  • Trev36
    Trev36 Posts: 92
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    In all honesty, it is probably the first point. Yaroslav had a poor 06 Tdf when Discover lacked a clear leader (winning the stage to Carcassonne wasn't even a consolation after finishing over 50 minutes down, when initially he was considered a 'co-leader').
    Don't forget the Puerto shit hit the fan and dried up resources or put out some big scares amongst who was left.
    Disco in 06 weren't even a shadow of themselves from the years before and it wasn't just one or 2 riders having an ordinary tour the whole team had nothing in comparison.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    Has Popo ever been linked to doping ?
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • - Or is it as simple as Bruyneel just having a superior training programme that gets the best out of the Ukranian?

LOL. :twisted:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    colint wrote:
    Has Popo ever been linked to doping ?

Vaugely.

I believe there was some speculation he was a client of Fuentes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dulldave wrote:
    we will all know why if he does :wink:

:!:
  • Here's an interesting theory I read on another forum. Should give Dennis another attack of typing frenzy!

My read on this is that Armstrong is gathering the riders he used to race with for a reason. He wants to trust as few new people as possible. The riders he used on Postal and Disco already know the details of the team doping program, so there is no more risk of them blabbing than there already is. It is a clear sign that he intends to dope just as much as he did previously.

Now, don't shoot the messanger. :wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Maybe He's recreating the good ol' days.

Just imagine, a hot summer's day, the "boys" in the team bus all together, kicking back about the past glories. Johan reaches into the fridge and cracks open a cold 800ml bag... etc
  • SpaceJunk
    Wonder if Michael Barry will get back on the 'ol Postal Bus???

:wink:

(Not that I am suggesting anything - with Michael Barry doing anything untoward).

In fact why doesn't Lance do a '10 year reunion tour' and use the original class of '99 to go for his 8th Tour win??:

181. Lance Armstrong (USA)
    182. Frankie Andreu (USA)
    183. Pascal Deramé (Fra)
    184. Tyler Hamilton (USA)
    185. George Hincapie (USA)
    186. Kevin Livingston (USA)
    187. Peter Meinert-Nielsen (Den)
    188. Christian Vandevelde (USA)
    189. Jonathan Vaughters (USA)
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    So a rider whose never been linked to doping, never really set the tour alight, and if anything is regarded as a rider who has underperformed, is labeled as a doper and we have yet another anti armstrong / doping thread with the usual contributers.

This used to be a good, interesting forum......
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • SpaceJunk
    colint wrote:
    So a rider whose never been linked to doping, never really set the tour alight, and if anything is regarded as a rider who has underperformed, is labeled as a doper and we have yet another anti armstrong / doping thread with the usual contributers.

This used to be a good, interesting forum......

Well, colint I've not suggested that Popo was on the juice; in fact, in my original post I gave the opinion that Popo didn't cut the mustard in 06 when the Disco boys had no clear leader, nor in 08 with Cadel.

In 05 and 07 he did - in both cases he was inspired to work hard for LA and Alberto. To me it appears as if the Ukrainian is temperamental - he's hot and cold.

But in general, I can also see why there is so much animosity, even anger against both LA and his Astana team.

They're are many, myself included, that feel Vino should never be allowed to ride professionally again. I would love to know if the doper has ever paid back his salary to the UCI. Can this be confirmed?

Some questions for you colint - do you think Vino should be able to race again? Should the guy being shown any respect all? If you were making a comeback to cycling to raise awareness of cancer, would you want a character such as Vino on your team?

I know how most people would answer these questions.

You do raise a good point; these forums have gone down hill. But I think it's a good reflection of how a lot of people feel about professionally cycling at the moment; the sport has lost a heap of credibility; and its only getting worse.

Any why CN and other similar sites make the flood us with Lancemania, there will continue to be this angst.
  • iainf72
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    They're are many, myself included, that feel Vino should never be allowed to ride professionally again. I would love to know if the doper has ever paid back his salary to the UCI. Can this be confirmed?

No. No one has ever paid it back. But it's only appicable to 2 people - You need have a full 2 year ban applied for it to apply.

So that Cofidis chap and ..., I can't remember.
  • SpaceJunk
    iainf72 wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

No. No one has ever paid it back. But it's only appicable to 2 people - You need have a full 2 year ban applied for it to apply.

So that Cofidis chap and ..., I can't remember.

No probs - thanks for the clarification on that iain. I do seem to recall what you've stated here.
  • iainf72
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Popovych was one of the young guys with 'a lot of promise' wasn't he? A bit like Tom Danielson. David Duffield often said that he was picked out by 'Mr Colnago' and set up in Italy (sound a bit suspect written like that but I'm sure you know what I mean). He used to ride for Landbowkrediet Colnago and got 3rd (I think) in the Giro one year. However, he then got picked up Discovery - always a mistake in my book as you will never then get the chance as a team leader if you go there. Almost as if they get the 'spark' beaten out them by what ever system that team uses.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman