Bar Ends

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi

I'm looking to buy some bar ends to put on my mtb which I am going to use for some touring.

I posted the following on the MTB forum but there was no response. It may be that some of you that tour on a flat handled bike would be able to help.

Cane Creek Ergo II Bar Ends v SJS Ergo Bar Ends - The Cane Creeks seem to get some good reviews and there is a good review about similar and cheaper bar ends which are being sold by SJS Cycles.

I was wondering whether anyone has either and is able to recommend them or whether anyone can recommend any better bar ends.

Thanks

Richard

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got long bar ends to offer more positions, a bit like these (available from CRC for a tenner)

product_357996.jpg

I then put bar tape on them to make them more comfy, which worked a treat (still prefer drop bars, am working on that).
  • Hi

I use the richley wcs long bar ends, similar to the titec ones above, except that they bend back in half way along their length. They give 2 or 3 additional hand positions, so pretty good all round.

I tried the cane creek ergos - they're better on a true mtb for climbing as they give a very secure hold at the end of the bars, but they're short so you dont get the "longer" positions - reaching beyond the handlebars - that you can get with a long straight bar end. I wouldnt look at them for a touring/expedition bike.

Cheers

Jon
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I found the flatter surface of the SJS ones fitted my riding better than the Cane Creek.

My set up is these with a pair of Ergon bar grips.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Thanks for the replies

Cunobelin - I will only be using the bar ends for some touring that I plan doing with my MTB. Would the SJS ergo bar ends be a good option or would you suggest some of the longer ones?

Thanks

Richard
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I've used the Cane Creek ergo bar ends - they are excellent for touring. Apart from being more comfortable to the hands than metal bar ends, the grip is exactly parallel to the bar - so you don't have to stretch forward. If your bars are set for the right position for you, then you'd only want to be stretching forward when climbing or going into the wind.
  • FOGcp
    FOGcp Posts: 145
    Another vote for the Crane Creeks. I have had them on my bike for 4 years and all though they are getting a bit battered they are still excellent for pure mtb or for road touring
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I favour the "ski" shaped ones. Either Tranz-X or Zoom. Lots of choice on th'bay - sjs have Zoom listed at 99p start -probably get them for a fiver! Parkers of Bolton have the Trans-X (their listing is misspelt!) in a variety of colours.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Another for long simple curved bar ends. The more hand positions the better and when touring you will never be holding on to the bar ends too tightly. If you are your hands should be somewhere near the brakes!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Agree, ones like the Titec give two complete hand widths for a variety of positions.