The Cambrian

This looks like a stonker of an audax and good prep for those training for hilly sportives or merely enjoying a scenic day out:

http://www.danialwebb.com/cambrian.html

I must admit that Danial is a fellow member of the Beacon RCC so I am possibly biased but this is bound to be a great event. It passes through similar country to that of Phil Weaver's Autumn Epic and will provide a great tester for the endurance rider.

Here is Danial's description:

The Cambrian is a 210km challenge that heads through the Radnor Hills before soaring over the mountain road from Llanidloes to Machynlleth. With 3860m of climbing, you can be sure of breathtaking scenery, climaxing with wonderful views of Snowdonia as you speed down to Machynlleth.

If this sounds like a bit much, then why not try the Cambrian Minor? You take exactly the same route as the riders of The Cambrian, to Llandidloes, and out to Llyn Clwedog (pictured above) before heading back. You still have to climb 3305m, but with just 160km of riding, you could well be home for tea.

For those of you who fancy something a bit speedier, then The Welsh Marches heads over Burton Hill to Grosmont Castle, before climbing over the Gospel Pass to Hay on Wye. With just 1645m of climbing over 120km, this is a great ride for those who want to explore the beauty of the Black Mountains

Comments

• This ride is proving to be rather popular. The 210km route and 120km seem to be the routes people are gunning for.

You can enter online at http://www.danialwebb.com/cambrian.html

Entry is just £9.50, which includes breakfast the start, soup and sandwiches at the end, and some of the best scenery in Wales.
  • Oooo, that is a strange coincidence. I have entered this audax and did not realise that Danial was a yet another Beacon member. I have religously entered Beacon RCC audaxes on the basis that they are probably the best around.

Well that is two events to look forward to in that case, The Cambrian and Beacon's Cotswold Expedition on 21st June. As for the Cambrian, I agree, this looks like a fantastic route through some fabulous countryside. A mate of mine was commended this route when he rode it as a permanent audax (what ever that is!). It looks like a tough day in terms of climbing. Never mind, it will be a good start to the season even if it is like throwing myself in at the deep end. Just hope that I can swim 8)