slippery when wet

mchammer
mchammer Posts: 12
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
been on my specy allez sport for about 2 months with continental gator tyres, my previous bike was a hybred.
now we have the wet weather due to lack of tread on the tyres i have come off twice fortunatly at low speeds in damp conditions. never happened on my old bike due to wider and more tread on the tyres.
trouble is a bit nervous at speed now, apart from not overbraking or turning quicly any advice?
otherwise i might have to put some stabilisers on. :lol:

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Drop the pressure slightly, which reminds me to up the pressure in my SMs
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Treads on road tyres will give LESS grip. The more rubber that comes in contact with the tarmac the better.

Avoid sudden braking and be especially careful when applying your front brake.

Also Gators i have read do have a habit of being slippery in wet conditions.

Get a pair of GP4000s or Michelin Pro Race 3.

I have the GP4000S and they really stick to the road. Apart from last week when i almost dropped it in the middle of Kensington Road when coming out of Hyde Park :oops:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    As NWLonder said, tread on a bicycle tyre will give you less grip on wet tarmac. There's more info here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tread

I run 25C gatorskins on my fixie, and don't find them particularly slippery in the wet. Only time I've come off on them in the wet is when pulling away on a wet manhole cover (d'oh). I do tend to run them at a slightly lower pressure in the wet compared to the dry.
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    Get a pair of GP4000s or Michelin Pro Race 3. :

+1
    I've got the regular gp4000 continentals and not had a problem in the wet, yesterday morning though when the carpark near the cycle path i use to dodge the traffic was frozen, that was a different matter, was like cycling on a bowling alley (yes i did fall off)
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    i nearly came of the 2days ago but i managed to stay on somehow
  • ride a fixed gear for the winter, much better control of the rear wheel...
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Out of interest, what pressure are people running tyres at in wet conditions?
  • Ditch the Gatorskins - they're terrible in damp conditions
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Does tyre grip go in the wet as tyres start to go off. I ask because I haven't had any probs in the wet on my Ultremo's however over the last week they have started to become a lot more slippery in the wet. Getting on for 2000 miles now so just wondering if they are perhaps just starting to show their age.
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    I run my Gatorskins at 75/80psi for wet roads,100psi for dry roads.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    i run at 110/115 PSI in most conditions.