Speed issues.......confusion!!

Simon1890
Simon1890 Posts: 117
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

I've got a confusing problem. Until recently all my biking was on a £300 mountain bike on both off road AND road rides. When it came to wanting to upgrade to a better bike i decided that i preferred the open roads and long distances so bought a road bike (Boardman Comp to be exact).

But now i'm really confused.....

I was under the impression that on a road bike my average speeds and top speed would increase as there is less friction and higher gears?!! (i could be wrong?)

On road courses around my area that are about the 10 mile mark (and i live on top of a hill so any ride consists of at least one 800ft climb) i seem to be averaging exactly the same speed over the 10 miles.....in fact my highest speed on my favorite route was set when on my mountain bike...not my road bike.

Am i missing something here???? Please help because i feel gutted at the moment.

Thanks

EDIT: If it helps my average is about the 12mph on both bikes.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Just because you get a road bike doesn't mean you don't try as hard. Do you still feel the same after the ride?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yeah...just got back and i'm knackered!!
    I think my fitness has dropped recently as i havent' been able to go out for a month (injury), but i still don't understand....surely even on hills my average should be slightly higher???

Cheers
  • Just a suggestion, but are you using the same bike computer to calculate your speeds? If so, it'll need to be calibrated according to the size of wheel - obviously, different for MTB and road bike. If you've not done that, that may be causing the apparent speeds to appear the same.
  • Nope it's not that, i'm using GPS to track my rides. Plus my time was almost identical for the ride today as i have done before on the MTB.

????
  • lousy position on the road bike meaning poor power transfer? Ih halfrauds set you up get someone who actually knows what theya are doing to make sure you are in the correct position. Saddle should be higher for example.
  • How about this. When you say "Surely on hills my average should be higher" Have you tried a direct comparison? Mountain bikes are easier to pedal uphill as the gearing is generally lower. As road bike gearing is higher, they are harder to ride uphill, so if your averages are the same, it might be that you were going faster uphill on the mountain bike, and faster on your road bike on a flat.

So, road bike gears being higher - how often are you going at maximum in the highest gear?

It might take some time to get used to the road bike position (for your leg muscles), and since you'll be using different muscle groups, it will take some time - but not too long. Also the weight of the bike is an issue. Generally a road bike is lighter, so you'll be going slower downhill. And since you mention going uphill, I assume that there's some downhill.

Finally, after having switched to a road bike (from a hybrid) myself,the greatest significant difference was after I bought smoother tyres, which of course you'd only get on a road bike!
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Generally a road bike is lighter, so you'll be going slower downhill.

You'll be faster because you are more aerodynamic on a road bike. Aero trumps weight in this case.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Aero does not always trump weight.
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I've calmed down now and looked at this objectively:

1. I am not as fit as i was a few months ago when i did this course last time so that may be one aspect.
    2. I'm still playing with the correct position on the bike. My LBS set the bike up for me (not Halfords thankfully) but i'm still not sure what position is best...if you've got any tips in this area i'd be very grateful.
    3. As i'm new to road bikes i am 'taking it easy' at times as i'm petrified of coming off. Considering this is the first time i've used shoes that attach to the pedals this may be another thing that is effecting it.

Still i was hoping for an instant improvement....nevermind.

Cheers
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Well if you are not as fit as you were.

Then I would see you doing the same route on a road bike in the same time an improvement but it could take a while to get your position right.
    I am getting back to road bikes and had mine for a few weeks now and still playing with the seat and every time I do, I feels better.

There is lots of info on the forum, so have a search.
    I have got lots from the guys and girls on here in the last month or so.
    Good luck and I think you are being to hard on yourself :)
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    It took me about 5-6 rides to get to a faster speed on my road bike than on my mountain bike. Even though my road bike had gears and my mountain bike is singlespeed, over the hilly course I was doing I think that it took a while to get used to the road bike. With a mountain bike you blast over stuff without thinking about potholes and speed bumps, you can do the same on a road bike (if you're nuts like me anyway) but it takes a bit of getting used to.

Also getting used to being clipped in and having crappy brakes (compared to MTB brakes / grip / traction), I noticed I gently cruised up to a halt, being concious of getting unclipped in time. Whereas on my MTB I could brake a lot later and know I'd stop in time, and wouldn't just topple over at the end.
  • Generally a road bike is lighter, so you'll be going slower downhill.

You'll be faster because you are more aerodynamic on a road bike. Aero trumps weight in this case.
    Also larger wheels, spin more slowly, less resistance in the hubs? Not sure if this is true but seems logical.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Have you checked your tyre pressure? If they're not pumped up enough then that will slow you down.
  • epr
    epr Posts: 26
    Actually, I found exactly the same when I bought my first road bike four and a half years ago. The road bike felt faster (before I had a slicked-up mountain bike), but my times on 10 mile rides actually increased by 4 or 5 mins (these were on the North Downs, so fairly hilly).

After a while the times got better and I'm now much faster than I ever was on my mountain bike, though maybe this is just improving fitness.

One big improvement the road bike did make was on longer rides. Try going out for an 80-mile spin on your mountain bike, and then see the difference the road bike makes.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    my mtb (no suspension) has a steel frame and is considerably heavier than my road bike . It is slower up hills as it is heavier - never any fears about running out of gears though, even on the really steep ones. It is slower going down hills as well as i spin out much quicker than on the road bike. Interestingly on the flat it is pretty similar and i am probably just as "aero" on my mtb as it is a 17" frame with masses of seat post showing.
    I have recently put mudguards on it and started using it as my bad weather bike and have been pleasantly surprised how close average speeds are to my roadbike.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    took me a few rides to 'convert' and get bike set up right but on my ride to work (7 miles and moderate hills) i get there 5 mins quicker on my road bike which is about 20%. on the flat i'll purr along at about 21-22 on the road bike and 17-18 on the mtb so i'd say yes a road bike is quicker.

(when i upgraded by claude butler to a focas cays however it made v little difference so i tend not to belive all the stuff in the mags about this bike over that one any more and think its more about the engine if its pure speed you're after)
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    if its a hilly commute then you will be faster on the downhill and straights but its alot easier to go up steep hills on a mountain bike than a road bike which could be where you slow down, especially if your not as fit as you used to be
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Nick6891 wrote:
    if its a hilly commute then you will be faster on the downhill and straights but its alot easier to go up steep hills on a mountain bike than a road bike which could be where you slow down, especially if your not as fit as you used to be

might feel easier, due to the gearing, but definitely a slower speed going up the hills as you are doing more work taking a heavier bike up the hill. I also find that say on a valley as i reach the bottom and start going up the other side i might be at 30mph on my mtb but i will be at 35+mph on my road bike so am faster for no effort initially as i start climbing (if that makes sense)
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Road bike has to be faster & easier up any paved hill.

Increased mass of MTB would make it accelerate faster downhill if you forget the effects of air resistance (mainly that of the rider important here), rolling resistance within the tyre, and friction fromn the tyre. So put drops and 23mm slicks on a MTB and it migth be quicker down a hill.

I alternate my road bike and hybrid/old lady bike on my commute depending on the weather. I'd go along with the previous comments that it's probably the feeling of confidence given by the MTB brakes and riding positionencouraging the mtb er to brake later.
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99

Galileo would beg to differ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei
  • c12345 wrote:

Galileo would beg to differ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei
    Quote? I can't see how something lighter can go down a hill quicker... Think of a toy car and then a lorry freewheeling.

Edit: ah just remembered my physics a level... If the mountain bike has enough weight to outset the air resistance more though then it could be faster.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    could be a confidence issue?

On a nice big mountain bike with good suspension you shoot down the hills like there is no tomorrow but how about the road bike?

Due to your feet being clipped in, the bike being much much lighter and the "strange feel" for your new body position, could it be holding you back?

Next time you go out, try to notice if you have a habit of constantly touching the brakes whilst going downhill because you feel uncomfortable??

If all else fails then why not get your mountain bike out and time yourself up a specific hill.. then get your road bike out and time yourself up the same hill again. see if there is a time difference?