Hebden brigde ride this weekend

Bikerbaboon
Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
planing a new ride
http://www.idonohoe.com/mary_map_580.htm

any one in the local area know this ride and are you up for it on the sat?
from the pics ( click on the numbers) it looks good and the ground looks sandy so with this weeks rain it should not be to hard going.

any one up for it ?
Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    You're planning to do the whole thing in one day unsupported? Thats about 47 miles, 6000 plus feet of climbing and about 95% off road, some of which is a bit technical.

It took me 7hrs 50 mins earlier this year during an organised event. Most of it isn't too bad surface wise but there are a good number of bits, especially in the Northern section which can be very boggy and the trails around here are absolutely saturated ( I live about 1.5 miles from the loop).

Some of us off here are planning to do a shorter loop around the top half a week on Saturday (22nd Nov) if you're interrested (probably 20 to 26 miles depending on on the exact route).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Bikerbaboon
    Humm saw it online and though its looked like a good long day in the saddle...the 6k hight climb could be a pain.

Where will you be starting out from and what time and i will see if i can get over for it as it looks like a good bit of the county to go for a ride in. Well back to haveing a look at more places just north of leeds to ride
  • stumpyjon
    It is a really good route, just a bit long. it can be broken into sections and shorter loops created as well. Riding round here is pretty good (although I would say that as I'm local).

Probably starting from my house (which is about 3 miles west of Todmorden), which means tea and biccies when we get back :P . Haven't finalised details yet but probably start sometime around 9:00 to 9:30am. Probably take between 4 & 5 hours depending on the route.

GT Destroyer and Easyg are coming over from Dewsbury way. Dave_Hill's also likely to put in an appearance but he's local anyway.

One of my other riding buddies is also likely to be playing out although we may have to tie weights to him, he managed the MTL challenge in 4hrs 50mins, came 8th :evil: . Suffice to say the rest of us are nowhere near that fit.

Anyone else fancy joining us you'd be most welcome, just pm me.

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    planing a new ride
    http://www.idonohoe.com/mary_map_580.htm

any one in the local area know this ride and are you up for it on the sat?
    from the pics ( click on the numbers) it looks good and the ground looks sandy so with this weeks rain it should not be to hard going.

any one up for it ?

Trust me that's a SERIOUS undertaking, especially at this time of year. I certainly won't be entertaining anything over 25 miles round here until the weather bucks up and the trails dry out!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    stumpyjon wrote:
    One of my other riding buddies is also likely to be playing out although we may have to tie weights to him, he managed the MTL challenge in 4hrs 50mins.

I'll bring my draw-bar, he can tow me round.... :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    I was thinking of attaching my daughters trailer to the back of his bike, weighs 10kg unladen, couple of bags of and and we'll be reet.

• dave_hill
    stumpyjon wrote:
    I was thinking of attaching my daughters trailer to the back of his bike, weighs 10kg unladen, couple of bags of and and we'll be reet.

That's a bit tight, making your daughter tow a trailer.... :shock: :lol:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Bikerbaboon
    Well i will keep chatting up the wife and see if i can get a pass out in her car. If i get anywhere and the weather looks ok i will send you a message. wednesday or thuirsday and let you know. ( im not that fair weather but when hte rain is going sideways or up i stay in. :D
  • I'm doing a canal run tomorrow - Riding from Hebden Bridge station back to Dewsbury, purely to keep my fitness up as I've not been out for a bit now.

and I am well looking forward to next Saturday, it had better be bloody dry!!!
  • dave_hill
    Sorry to say Jon I'm giving back-word on this one. I've been out yesterday and this morning and I am SERIOUSLY hacked off with the sh*tty conditions round here, it's beyond a joke.

I'm going to go up to the Dales on the 22nd, probably round Settle somewhere. At least it drains properly up there!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Bikerbaboon
    if this rain keeps up all week i think i may be wimping out and going for a spin round north of skipton. I dont like riding boggy wet trails and it just cuts the ground up.