Adjustable fork?

The HutcH
The HutcH Posts: 107
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, Im confused about adjusting my front fork. On the top of my forks you can either turn towards the plus or the minus, what will this do? and do you think there is lockout? The fork is a SR Suntour XCR.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's rebound damping (ie how fast the fork bounces back to its rest position after it squishes). The lockout is in the right fork leg, or it will be if it has a lockout (mine does, I'm not sure if they all do)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The only Suntour fork with rebound is the XCR DA, the rebound adjuster is red, more likely to be the preload adjuster.

Preload adjuster is there to set the sag to the correct amount.

If you have a lockout it's a lever on the top of the right leg.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Northwind
    The preload adjuster on XCRs isn't marked plus or minus though. Or at least, not on mine (which has a black rebound adjuster knob incidentally, not red). XCR RL also has rebound adjustment.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Not according to the SR website & the forks we sold at work, maybe yours is OEM?

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=si ... &tnid=2198
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Northwind
    Would anyone have an XCR if it wasn't OEM :wink: Not exactly an object of high desire...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are loads of XCR forks, some basic with just coil springs. Others have lockout, rebound adjust, remote lockout - all have preload adjusters. Depends on year too, as they vary, and some are not even listed on the main SR site.

Good budget forks.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Can you post pictures from every caps/levers on the fork?

The XCR is probably similar as my Dart 2, or they are at the same level,
    so on the left leg I guess it's preload.

Btw I found this and it's not on suntour's website:
    Suntour XCR TA :o
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is an older one.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Now I've noticed. :lol:
    What a dumpass. (me) :lol:
  • The preload adjuster knob on mine is black but it has a red bit in the middle which changes length depending on how high or low your preload is
    Paypal fee calculator - http://www.rolbe.com/ppcalc.htm

A useful tool...
  • Northwind
    So essentially, we're saying it's confusing as ****. Any chance of pics of the forks in question?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • adam23
    adam23 Posts: 15
    I've got a set xcr's and mine preload adjust only. I leave mine on the softest setting most of the time( both red id tags showing there most) as the adjustment isn't that good. The forks in general are very good budget item, but I'm gonna bail on mine soon and get some quality items
    2008 custom build mongoose teocali elite
  • Northwind
    Preload isn't a hardness/softness setting, it just sets where the fork sits at rest in its movement range. Set it right for sag, that's all it's for ;)
    Uncompromising extremist