Thorndon Park Sunday morning just gone.

beardytwo
beardytwo Posts: 174
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
I was over Thorndon on Sunday morning with the family teaching my son to ride (so I was running not riding :( ) and a couple of mtber's came through the gate by the fishing lake which is at the A127, Half Way House end of the park on the bridle path. I have ridden over there a couple of times after work and just wondered if it was any of you guys on here and was curious what route you took as I feel there is still loads I havn't seen. I think one was riding a Black Saracen and the other a Black Trek.

Comments

• rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Wasn't me on either of those bikes but did come through that way sunday morning. We normally come back via the ST next to the golf course but feeling a little masochistic we did the hills for some extra bum burn :)

There is LOADS over Thorndon, I have a route now that varies between 15-18 miles depending what we do/skip. I'm over there pretty much every sunday morning so please let me know if you fancy and I'll show you round my route. Not as fun now as it's all muddy and slippy but it's all good :)
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Riders were very thin on the ground on Sunday.in fact on Saturday after 3 1/2 hours of riding i hadn't seen another bike.

On Sunday I saw a group of about six heading south, but the only group of two I saw stopped to talk to me about some more trails to ride as they had only been over there a few times. From your description it could have been them.

I ride over there on Saturday and Sunday then usually a couple of mornings in the week, so if you want I can meet up and show you some more trails.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Got the feeling there is loads more but wasn't sure how enthusiastic the rangers are if you came of the marked cycle routes. Did a few times going through some of the wooded areas and it was pretty muddy about 4 weeks back. I bet its pretty messy now..
    Thanks for the offer Rikk I will gladly take you up on the offer when I get the opportunity. Not sure how fast some of you guys go so you will probably be pegged back a bit especially as I'm still riding my rigid until next year! Noticed you are in to your photography aswell, some nice shots on your site. Like the landscapes. I've just returned from Morroco. Lots of great material there. Still need to go through all of them.
    Thanks robertpb for the offer I plan to get over there again soon but weekends are a bit rammed and traveling that far eats in to my riding time which is why I tend to cycle over to Hockley Woods and through to Gusted Hall and beyond as its closer. The couple of times I have been we still had the light evenings so I could spend a couple hours straight after work before heading of home as I work at Dunton. Need to negotiate an extra hour or so with the boss. After all its in her interest as it helps contain the beer belly. :lol:
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Don't worry about the speed aspect, being 43 and with one leg I'm more of the "get there eventually" especially on hills :)

We've been doing 14-15 miles around there in 1hr 40mins so not fast at all :)

drop me a mail rikk@golum.co.uk when you fancy and I'll make sure I'm there, I'm also off fridays as well if that's any easier.