Simple/Stupid Question - Cylcing 60 miles

catbaier
catbaier Posts: 123
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Morning.

I've recently become the proud owner of a Kona Honky Tonk. It's my first road bike since owning a Raleigh Banana WAY back in the day. My other bike is a (also steel) single speed mtb.

I'm utterly loving road riding again; happily knocking off 20-30 miles in the evening after work with no ill effects the following day... though I'm having to get used to using my gears all over again (wierd)! I haven't gone further yet as I've only had the bike a week!

I'm hoping to cycle from Bristol to Broadway (near Evesham), about 60 miles, this saturday. It'll be my longest ride in a hell of a long time. While I have only a few doubts about my ability to knock-off the mileage if I go nice and slowly; I'm curious about how buggered I'll be after. You see; my wife is taking me out for a slap-up meal that night.

I reckon I'll leave as early as possible (say 8am) and allow about 5-6hrs. That way I have all afternoon to catch a nap and eat some food.

Am I being over-enthusiastic, or realsitic? (or just long-winded!)

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You should be okay, 10-12mph is a good estimate if you are a fairly new rider. I manage 13-14 on hilly rides and I am not that fit :oops: You may find you get some aches and pains that you are not used to when you go significantly beyond your usual mileage (back ache, sore bum), but nothing that should impair your dining. Wear good shorts with a pad, take some snacks and 2 litres of water.
  • alfablue wrote:
    You should be okay, 10-12mph is a good estimate if you are a fairly new rider. I manage 13-14 on hilly rides and I am not that fit :oops: You may find you get some aches and pains that you are not used to when you go significantly beyond your usual mileage (back ache, sore bum), but nothing that should impair your dining. Wear good shorts with a pad, take some snacks and 2 litres of water.

I did a 50 miler the weekend I got my bike and wasn't as sensible as you. I pushed hard the whole way seemingly thinking I was racing an imaginary friend. Bad idea. I paid for it over the next 3-4 days as I was aching so badly I couldn't even get on the bike never mind ride it anywhere. Take it slow and steady and most of all make sure you have sufficient padding...it'll take your bum a while to get used to sitting on the razor blade that us roadies call a saddle. Also as Alfa said, take plenty of fluids with you or at least the means to buy some as dehydration isn't nice 20 miles from home...(been there done that too...I didn't listen)
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • catbaier wrote:
    Morning.

I've recently become the proud owner of a Kona Honky Tonk. It's my first road bike since owning a Raleigh Banana WAY back in the day. My other bike is a (also steel) single speed mtb.

I'm utterly loving road riding again; happily knocking off 20-30 miles in the evening after work with no ill effects the following day... though I'm having to get used to using my gears all over again (wierd)! I haven't gone further yet as I've only had the bike a week!

I'm hoping to cycle from Bristol to Broadway (near Evesham), about 60 miles, this saturday. It'll be my longest ride in a hell of a long time. While I have only a few doubts about my ability to knock-off the mileage if I go nice and slowly; I'm curious about how buggered I'll be after. You see; my wife is taking me out for a slap-up meal that night.

I reckon I'll leave as early as possible (say 8am) and allow about 5-6hrs. That way I have all afternoon to catch a nap and eat some food.

Incidentaly do you want any riding buddies? A few of us on here were on about a Bristol ride
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    If you can do 20-30 after work comfortably, you should be OK. Only slight observation is that it sounds like you'll be cycling in the Cotswolds. That can be hard work if you're used to training on the flat (not saying you are training on the flat, of course, but something to look out for).
  • catbaier
    Stefano,

Could be interested; though I'm a little erratic as to when I go riding. It really depends on how shyte my day at work has been... the shyter it was the more likely I am to be going out!!

Still, if something comes together then by all means let me know! I may be about.

Though please bear in mind that I'm probably complete bobbins.
  • catbaier
    rhext wrote:
    If you can do 20-30 after work comfortably, you should be OK. Only slight observation is that it sounds like you'll be cycling in the Cotswolds. That can be hard work if you're used to training on the flat (not saying you are training on the flat, of course, but something to look out for).

I was going to take the flat Gloucester A38 route... it's less scenic, but also less likely to wreck me! Should I still have energy by Glos I can head through Cheltenham and Winchcombe (hilly and steep) or just carry on up via Tewksbury on the relative flat.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Dont forget to have a real good stretch after and that will help with any ache and pains you might get.
  • ANC
    ANC Posts: 26
    catbaier wrote:
    rhext wrote:

I was going to take the flat Gloucester A38 route... it's less scenic, but also less likely to wreck me! Should I still have energy by Glos I can head through Cheltenham and Winchcombe (hilly and steep) or just carry on up via Tewksbury on the relative flat.

Take in the fantastic Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham to Winchcombe. That'll sort you out.
  • catbaier wrote:
    rhext wrote:

The A38 is OK, heavy traffic but it's wide enough not to be much of a problem, but it'd be more comfortable to cycle up the lanes closer to the Severn, it's not too difficult to find a reasonably straight route.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Take some back roads. I always find myself pushing harder on more main roads, maybe part and part would be good for you, just a thought.

Other than that I can't see you having too much of a problem, keep hydrated, drink before your thirsty, eat enough and enjoy yourself.
  • Bristol to Evesham is pretty much flat, you could average 15mph at least easily. Unless you do want to take backroads- which will be much more hilly around the gloucestershire area.
  • As other posters have said, I'm sure you'll be fine with this. However, I note that you mentioned that you're going out that evening. I can do this sort of mileage no problem, but inevitably it makes me very sleepy in the evening. I think you are absolutely right to plan an afternoon nap, which hopefully will help you go out that evening with a fine sense of smug satisfaction....
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I did a longer version a few months ago, but the other way round - started near Stratford and finished in Bristol, we actually went off course, so this isn't quite the route we took, but could give you an idea of how to stay away from the A38 which whilst wide is frankly a horrible road to ride on - takes you straight past broadway tower.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Binton-to-Cuck-Hill

Stay hydrated, eat little and often and if you're going out that evening, don't load up on carbo-gels/energy drinks too much as you'll probably find you'll feel a bit sick if you take on too many carbs.

We finished our day with a huge barbeque and a few bottles of wine and were fine, and like you, I make a habit of riding 30 (or so milers) rather than nearer the 100 mark.
  • catbaier
    Horton

Now I see why people have handlebar mounted GPS!

Actually I'm from Alcester myself, so I know your route reasonably well. It looks very tempting; particularly as the missus is offering to drop me whever I want outside Bristol to save the first 6 miles of shyte traffic and lethal death.

Hilly though... very hilly.

Still, he who dares eh?

Cheers for the advice everyone.
  • Who needs sleep when there's espresso? :lol:
  • catbaier
    Okay, just done 30 miles in 1:45mins (ave 17mph) with a top speed of 36mph (yeah-yeah, I know it's hardly Lance Armstrong, but I've only been doing this a week).

I think (hope) I'm ready!
  • I'm sure you will be fine, I doubt whether you will be too knackered to go out to dinner as you will still be buzzing from your efforts!
    May the wind always be at your rear!
  • catbaier wrote:
    Morning.

Incidentaly do you want any riding buddies? A few of us on here were on about a Bristol ride
    I'm from Bristol and am a relative beginner. I'd certainly be up for some 40-50 milers if people from the forum are getting together in Briz. Not sure I'm ready to join a club yet!
  • catbaier
    For those who might be interested.

I did this route:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/222323

As you can see it's a hell of more fluctuating than the original A38 plan, but it is about 8 miles shorter. The route was 52 miles in total as I jumped on a train to Yate; the thought of cycling through Bristol in the drizzle at 7:30am filled me with such utter dispair I felt no reluctance in sacking that bit off! It was supposed to be about having fun after all.

Anyway, the route took 3h15min, topping out at 42mph and averaging about 16mph.

I was absolutely fine afterwards, and even now have no aches or pains. I felt fit at the end and could happily have gone on for a while longer.

In all it was a very enjoyable first mission, the first of many I hope.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Nice touch - glad to hear it all went well, despite the beautiful weather I saw from the comfort of my office window...