The Best Place in Great Britain to Tour for 2 Summer Weeks?

cycladelic
cycladelic Posts: 641
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
We all have our faves, but I wonder where you suggest I tour with my Taiwanese wife next August?

We've already penciled in Wales (and the Rep' of Ireland) for late July - August, but any specific recommendations on these countries would also be very welcome.
It's an uphill climb to the bottom

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I cycled round the Kerry and Dingle Peninsula, starting from Cork, got the train back to Cork from Tralee, lots of B&B's and Hostels, some superb. A beautiful ride.

Also suggest the western part of the Celtic Trail (starting from Swansea, circular route via Fishguard, return leg is quite high and steep in parts. Some lovely coastal scenery.

Also, the Lon Las Cymru, cycled to Conwy from Builth Wells, the "middle bit" was beautiful and quite desolate. A lot of the paths are quite rough. Lots of steep climbs. Took a detour and rode Snowdon (on tour-prepared mtb's). I camped on these Welsh tours, it worked out okay but sometimes campsites did not correspond with preferred daily mileages, so lots of research was required (do NOT trust the tent symbols on OS or NCN maps - often they turn out to be taken over by the caravan club, who LOVE to turn campers away!!!).

Also, C2C from Whitehaven to Tynemouth - only 3 days worth of riding though, but you can add to it and make it a circular route using the Reivers route (which I gather is rougher and tougher). Crossing the Pennines was fabulous, again, desolate in parts. Some steep climbs to 2000ft but pretty much downhill for the last 30 miles. The C2C route has some mtb options, but a sturdy road bike is fine if you don't take them. As there are so many users of this route you are in competition for the available B&B's, so it requires pre-booking in summer. There is a good guide book that lists the B&B's, this was invaluable when I did it (in spring, without pre-booking) as I soon twigged I would have to phone ahead to secure rapidly diminishing bed availability.

Generally, these NCN routes are fantastic, are well used by cyclists and as a result the locals are usually geared up / well disposed to cyclists (on the C2C for example, one B&B landlord even drove us to the next village for pub and dinner, and collected us when we were ready!).

I have yet to do anything in Scotland, I would like to, but the costs and logistics of getting up there are off-putting, instead I am considering a tour starting from Milan next year, I can get there with the bike from Bristol for about £90...
  • Many thanks, alfablue

I'll look into that Celtic Trail, as I will start near Swansea. I have relatives in Barry and will head to Ireland from there via ferry. I'll probably travel back to Wales from Dublin and then do the North - I have a friend in Oswestry I want to see.
  • alfablue
    Yes, I took the Swansea Cork Ferry - its a laugh, a Greek boat with an "Irish-Greek" bar. One thing though, it was an overnight sailing and I just booked a seat, it was bloody uncomfortable and cold - wish I'd booked a cabin! Food isn't that great either. The cycle ride from the port to Cork was a bit hair-raising in the rush hour traffic after a cold, sleepless night, too! (Chances are the ferry has been improved since I used it, just realised that was 10 years ago :oops: ).
  • Bad news swansea - cork ferry went bust two years ago, as far as cycle touring in ireland is concerned your best bet is the west coast in three distinct areas west cork and kerry , galway and mayo, and also donegal, if you are pushed for time your best option is to go by train from dublin to tralee to see cork and kerry or take the train from dublin to galway to see the galway and mayo area.
    If time was not an issue and a cycle i am planning on doing next year is an irish end to end entirerly along the western seaboard and continue the coastal road along northern ireland and get the ferry from belfast to scotland. i reckon
    it could be achievable in a little over two weeks
    The coastal route is the best way to find reasonable accommodation(camping, hotels, hostels and b&b) and see the real ireland

Regards
    Cunavalos
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    cunavalos wrote:
    Bad news swansea - cork ferry went bust two years ag

...but there are other ferries from Fishguard and Holyhead - so some sort of tour of Wales ending up at, or starting from, a ferry port would still be an option.
  • options from fishguard and holyhead are ports in dublin rosslare or dun laoighire your best bet is dublin as transport links from rosslare by bike are poor there is a train terminal at the port but there would be issues taking the bikes on these trains and to cycle from the port to any of the more scenic areas mentioned take 2 - 3 days out of your itinery , i would recommend sailing to dublin and getting an intercity city train from dublin to either cork, tralee or galway to make the most out of a limited schedule.The bike handling capabilities of Irish trains is a hot topic most intercity trains can take a maximum of 4 bikes in the guards van and often this can be at the discretion of the inspector.
    Hope this helps
  • Thanks for this feedback about ferries and Ireland. Great stuff.

It sounds like cycling up through Wales to get the ferry from Holyhead (and back) is a better option than going from Fishguard.
    Maybe the return fare is cheaper too?

Is the southern coast of Ireland really that unexciting? How about Northern Ireland?
    I seem to recall reading that the coastal road around Antrim is nice - but maybe that was just for car journeys.

Going back to my original question: Where should I tour in mainland UK?
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    cycladelic wrote:

Is the southern coast of Ireland really that unexciting?

The coast to the west of Kinsale is very pretty indeed. Waterford is boring.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yip, everyones got there favourite areas's....however I'm a scotsman and I would say Somewhere like Brough(east of Penrith).....that way you could venture into the Lake District / North Peninnes / Yorkshire Dales / North York Moors...all failry demanding (well some are crazy demanding :wink: )...but all area's are superb.

But if its scenery....then North Scotlands got to be the place....
  • "But if its scenery....then North Scotlands got to be the place...."

Cheers, Richboy

I'm now seriously thinking of going north after touring Ireland. Is there a specific place/route you can recommend in Scotland?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cycladelic wrote:
    "But if its scenery....then North Scotlands got to be the place...."

Cheers, Richboy

I'm now seriously thinking of going north after touring Ireland. Is there a specific place/route you can recommend in Scotland?

If you really want scenery and quiet roads then you are thinking of a very lovely place in Scotland....heading up through Glencoe and Kintail is just jaw dropping....I would urge you to head out to the Applecross pininsula...and take in the awesome Bealach Na Ba.......the scenery and solitude up there is amazing...only matched by the Midgies...you have been warned!

But although I've never been personally, Skye is supposedly awesome aswell....in fact the whole on the West Coast of Scotland up from Loch Lomond is out this world...the Cowal Pininsula onwards...

If you venture into Central Scotland then outstanding Perthshire awaits...and heading into the North East then the Intinidating Cairngorm awaits (Snow roads)...

So many places but the North West is the most dramatic....good choice....hope this help...
    If you need any more help then just ask :D
  • alfablue: What's it like cycling from Bath to South Wales, say Cardiff? Is there a good route - or should I just forget about it? (Quite fancy having a look around Bath while I'm in the UK)
  • alfablue
    Well I would say it is great, you can do it all on NCN Route 4. From Bath to Bristol route 4 is on the Bath to Bristol railway path (entirely traffic free, and Sustrans flagship path), then on to the old Severn bridge which has a cycle track on both sides, to Chepstow, then pick up the Celtic trail which will take you all the way to Fishguard. The western part in particular, beyond Swansea is fabulous!

There is a Celtic Trail route map here, and sustrans sell two maps covering the east and west sections. I have only done the west section, but I frequently ride Bath to Bristol, and Bristol to Chepstow and it is great riding. The section from Swansea [Edit: from Carmarthen] to Tenby is fairly challenging, hill wise, it then gets a bit easier.
  • Thanks, alfablue - I think I'll get atrrain to Bath and start out from there.