Look clipless pedals question

ror_b211
ror_b211 Posts: 65
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
I recently bought a bike on ebay that is coming with Look clipless pedals- I'm completely new to clipless pedals, so would I be right in assuming I need SPD shoes with Look cleats? And can I buy any SPD shoe, including Shimano ones?

Thanks

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    You'll need to buy smooth soled road shoes. They come with the 3 bolt fixing for Look pedals. Shimano do a range along with many many others but make sure they are road models. MTB shoes have a 2 bolt fixing for SPD, Time, Crank Brothers etc and are a completely different beast.

If you want a shoe that you will be able to walk in (with the cleat recessed within the sole) then you're going to have to change the pedals so that you can use an MTB or touring shoe. But decent pedals aren't too expensive. You can probably pick up a pair of Shimano M520 SPD pedals for about £15-20.
  • Thanks system, could you give me a link to a suitable shoe for the Look pedals?

I think changing the pedals might be a good idea, since I'd be using the bike for getting around rather than anything more serious.
  • Also would these Shimano shoes:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18376

Be compatible with the M520 pedals:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759

And that would be everything, I wouldn't need to buy anything extra like cleats etc, right? Thanks
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Yep, that would be everything. Perfectly compatible :D

The Pedals come with a set of cleats.

You can also generally get the M520 pedals for a little less than that off Ebay - if you are prepared to bide your time :wink:

However, Chain Reaction are very good.

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Excellent, thanks for the help.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    ror_b211 wrote:
    I think changing the pedals might be a good idea, since I'd be using the bike for getting around rather than anything more serious.

I think that's a good idea. I'm a big fan of Look pedals but they are a total pain for walking in. I have them on my good bike but that's only really used for training purposes, so I leave the house and don't get off until I return (apart from maybe a quick stop at a cafe). On my commuting/pub bike I've got a pair of M520's pedals and some RT30 shoes which are far easier for walking about in.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Far better to buy shoes at a shop where you can try them on. They all have very different fitting. Make sure the shoe fits closely but your toes will not reach the front when you push forward in them. Very painful after a while.
    You don't have to send many pairs back for it to cost more in postage than you have saved.
  • why on earth would you want to walk anywhere when youre out on your bike?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • John.T wrote:
    Far better to buy shoes at a shop where you can try them on. They all have very different fitting. Make sure the shoe fits closely but your toes will not reach the front when you push forward in them. Very painful after a while.
    You don't have to send many pairs back for it to cost more in postage than you have saved.

Excellent advice. I appear to be different sizes in different makes and so would always prefer to try shoes on before buying.
  • why on earth would you want to walk anywhere when youre out on your bike?
    erm, commuting? It's easier to lock up in town then walk around, and I'd rather walk around where I work...

I will try out shoes in a shop, although I'm lucky and seem to have regular-shape feet, I'd rather do this nonetheless.

Thanks again guys.
  • Just to say I have bought the above combo, MT31 shoes and M520 pedals.

Thanks for all the advice :)