Training in Mid Devon

cyclistbruce
cyclistbruce Posts: 88
After managing to get around the Exmoor Beast, but almost dying in the process, I want to do a bit more training, but would be good to go out with a group. Does anyone doing any training rides in the Mid Devon (Crediton) or Exeter area. Don't really want to go out with the Exeter Wheelers yet, they look way too professional!

Comments

• yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    cyclistbruce

I know we're not mid Devon but you're more than welcome to come out with the YOGi's if you feel like driving over to Plymouth. Or you could try the Mid Devon Club - I think they have rides for various abilities.

We have a Steady Pace Road Ride meeting at the B&Q Car Park, Marsh Mills 10am this Saturday 15th November. We rode 50 miles on the last one but it really depends on the weather and the ability of the participants as we adjust to suit.

There's also other rides each week - see website for info.
  • I live in Exeter and also needed resuscative measures after the Beast. A couple of mates and I often go out from Exeter towards Dartmoor or the Blackdowns you are more than welcome to come along, nothing too fast I can assure you just hills and a cake stop!!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Exeter Wheelers have a club run at 9:30 every sunday from in front of the Odean cinema in Sidwell Street

I do belong to the Exeter Wheelers and sometimes do this club run, typical routes are over Dartmoor to Okehampton or Honiton via Collumpton.
  • Exeter Wheelers is my old club back in the early 80's
    age it creeps up on you !

But I am going to be in Devon that weekend so I think I might join the Wheelers and see how long I last for. Its hilly down there in Devon I probably won't last long but I will cross my fingers that the route this coming Sunday goes towards Honiton rather than into Dartmoor (shudder) :shock:

If there is anybody from the Wheelers reading this can you tell me are there different groups of various fitness or is it one mass racing bunch last to the tea stop pays for the tea???

Do I sound nervous? I am :lol: been off the bike for a few weeks planning a Sportive

Rupert
    Oh Ps what about that exmouth club cs dynamo how fast are their clubruns?

http://www.srs-events.cc
  • I ride with Exeter Wheelers and certainly at this time of year the rides aren't too fast or hilly.

There's generally just the one group going out, averaging approx 17mph on the winter rides for 50 miles.

This time of year is quite a good point to start coming out. For reasons I've never understood more riders come out through the winter so a bigger bunch to sit in with and get towed along, and as I said the pace is pretty comfortable without any epic climbs.

There's also a Tuesday night run at 6.30 going from the corner of Matford Roundabout by the BP garage. Route's down to Dawlish via Powderham/Starcross & back. This one gets quite fast through summer, but is a similar pace to Sundays at the moment, perhaps just a bit quicker due to shorter distance and the fact a lot of us ride it twice a week every week and know it like the back of our hands.

See you out soon perhaps :-)
  • Only 17 mph oh well then Yes you more than likely will see me.

Thanks for the info

:cry: oh god 17mph:shock: -- I know I'll ride at the back :lol:

I will be there everybody meets at the cinema is that right?
  • Thooms
    Thooms Posts: 66
    Another one here - I'm a student at the uni so I've got a massively busy day till 11 so I'm out after that...

Exmoor beast? I might have a look at that one. I've got a 48 mile loop planned for tomorrow (weather permitting!), Tiverton - Eggesford then back on the A377. Not one I've done before.

Can us mortals turn up at the Wheelers meetings on a Sunday? I might give that a shot too...

Always nice to ride with other people though :D
  • SRS Events : yeah you'll see a bunch of people getting in the way of pedestrians at 9.30 outside the Odeon.

This Sunday I think is the traditional mince pie run - which means a fairly short ride and a huge stack of mince pies mid way :-)

Thooms: yes, if you're out doing 50 mile rides on your own I'm sure you'll be fine! No need to be a member - always happy to see a new face.
  • Thooms
    Sounds good to me! I'm planning on doing my first 75 mile ride in 2 weeks time so I don't want to overdo it before hand.

Do I need to phone or anything or just turn up?
  • Thooms
    Thanks for the great ride today, really enjoyed it.

I'll be back for more same time next week.

- Tom (the guy on the Bianchi in shorts...)
  • ahhhh - that was you ;-)

I have to confess I completely forgot I'd been on here mentioning the Sunday Rides - I'll blame the cold for focusing my mind elsewhere.

I was actually the guy sitting opposite you in the cafe!

Good to hear you enjoyed the ride - and kudos for making it round in shorts. Hopefully see you again soon.