Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Cheap track hub

amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited November 2008 in Road general
I'm after a cheap rear track hub, but such a thing does not appear to exist. When I say cheap I mean less than £20. Don't want anything bling, just a functioning hub with reasonable seals for my commuting bike.
More problems but still living....

• andypandyp Posts: 8,851
    I think you'll struggle to get one for less than £20. On-one do a cheap hub but I think it's £30. You can get some good deals on Miche hubs at the moment but again, they'll be £30 or so.
  • best prices ones are the halo ones, i think hubjub has them for £35, or my lbs had systemEx ones for about £20, well sealed but cup and cone rather than cartridge.

If you phone them up i'm sure they'd post some to you, WSC
  • I'd go for the On One. I've got one on my commuter, really nice for the money.
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Formula / System Ex / Ambrosio / Planet-X plus others are the same hub with sealed cartridge bearings - about £50/pr are about as cheap / robust as you could get. There may be cheaper ones out there but probably won't last as long.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,331
    If simply want a CHEAP fixed, then the answer is a screw on 126 OLN hub for 5/6 speed. "Screw" on a fixed sprocket (and a b/b lockring if you feel so inclined). Re-space down to 120.
    Should pick one up for a tenner on th'bay. Old Maillards OK IMO/E.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • spa cycles maillard atom hub 10 pounds
  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna stick with single speed for now as even the £10 hub would lead to me spending £40 plus by the time I got spokes, sprocket, lockring and nuts. This bike was supposed to be cheap and I've spent almost £100 tinkering already...
    More problems but still living....
  • mattsccmmattsccm Posts: 401
    Any manky old mtb will have a screw on hub. Respace it and away you go. I buy pairs of old racing wheels complete with tubs and something like record screw on hubs for 10 or 20 quid at trad bike shops.