new forks means new frame?

kieranb
kieranb Posts: 1,674
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, I've an old rigid MTB and was planning to get new sus forks but wouldn't the extra length in the forks due to the suspension mean that the head tube will be shoved up higher than the ideal? I have noticed that frames designed for front sus forks have very small head tubes so would I need a new frame or would adding sus forks to the old rigid frame make a noticable change in the geometry of the bike and affect handling?

Thanks.

Comments

• It does depend on the forks, you'll probably need one with a long steerer to fit your longer headtube.

Is your current fork 1 1/8" or 1"?

As for geometry, measure your current axle to crown height and try to find a suss-fork that has a similar one when measured with sag, this'll stop the geometry changing too much. If it is a really old frame then i wouldn't add much more than 80mm travel to the front, some forks can be internally spaced down to accommodate this.
  • kieranb
    Hi, thanks for the reply, my current fork is 1 inch, there doesn't seem to be many good forks around for that diameter and I was thinking of getting the following fork:

Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 1 Inch 2009 - Suspension Fork

but this has 100mm of travel.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    kieranb wrote:

must be a grey import off a bike as there are no aftermarket MX's for 2009

what is the bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'd look for some carbon fibre rigids, a few are around with 1" steerers, also the pace suss forks did come with 1" steerers. Other than that there only really is the mx, it isn't great but will work.

Basically for 1" you're a bit stuffed now, i had a simliar issue a while back with a '97 orange P7!
  • Probably better to go for a new (or second hand) bike, or frame & forks.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • kieranb
    nicklouse wrote:
    kieranb wrote:

must be a grey import off a bike as there are no aftermarket MX's for 2009

what is the bike?

Hi Nick, don't know as I saw them for sale as a separate item in tredz.co.uk.