Replacing handlebars

biondino
biondino Posts: 5,990
edited November 2008 in The workshop
Hello,

If I buy new handlebars for my Trek (the current ones are a huge, heavy abomination - the front of my bike is SO heavy, even with my sexy new wheels), I should just take the bike and bars to my lbs and ask them to do it for me, right? Are is installing shifters, cross brakes and bar tape a doddle for someone who's never even attempted such things before?

Also, how do I know what width? Just measure my current bars and go with that (sine the width seems fine)? Or do I need to do more to figure out the best choice?

Finally, any reason why these bars aren't a good option? I'm pretty sure they're what I've got on the Focus. Feel free to recommend other cheap, light, shallow-drop bars if you have any suggestions.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    biondino wrote:
    Hello,

If I buy new handlebars for my Trek (the current ones are a huge, heavy abomination - the front of my bike is SO heavy, even with my sexy new wheels), I should just take the bike and bars to my lbs and ask them to do it for me, right? Are is installing shifters, cross brakes and bar tape a doddle for someone who's never even attempted such things before?

Easily do-able yourself. The bartape is a bit fiddly, but that's all.

However, do you have over-sized bars (31.8mm) on your Trek at the moment, or the standard size (26mm I think)?

Also, how do I know what width? Just measure my current bars and go with that (sine the width seems fine)? Or do I need to do more to figure out the best choice?

I think the measurements are centre-to centre.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    edited November 2008
    biondino wrote:
    cross brakes

Do you mean cantilever brakes? Have you got braze-ons on your forks to fit these? I don't recall seeing them on your Trek.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    Thanks CJ. Pretty sure the bars are oversized as they certainly feel thicker than on the Focus but that would be the different kind of tape used I think.

(I have realised I was actually looking for a "nah mate, don't try and do it yourself, get the bike to a nice man who you can pay to deal with the fiddly stuff". I need to MTFU, as has been pointed out elsewhere)
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    For width, measure across your shoulders - the bars should be the same width. I rode for years with 42cm c-c bars, thought them okay until I got measured for my Kuota and they specced 44's - amazing difference.

I had some of the Omega bars - not the lightest bar for the money, but the shape suited me well.

Fitting is reasonably straight forward though.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    nah, mate, don't try to do it yourself, get the bik eto a nic eman (or lady) who you can pay blah blah blah
    I'll do it for you after my cycle course on Thursday :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    Chris, I mean interrupter brakes - auxiliary brake levers on the top of the bar, you know the kind?

The FSA Omega bars are, I think, THE cheapest ones you can get on Wiggle but they seem to suit me perfectly. So I guess it's win/win!

Thanks Linds, I'll look forward to it :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sorry for the late post but i'd recommend these bars, i'm really happy with all the Ritchey pro kit i've bought so far and the slight straight section is very comfortable.

Fitting is super simple as is re-fitting brake & gear levers, bar tape not too bad apart from the last bit.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.