Overtightening?

Onan
Onan Posts: 321
edited November 2008 in The workshop
I'm a serial overtightener of stuff. I never know when to stop.

I've done my best to use judgement on my seatpost, but I'm still concerned I may have done the clamp up too tight.

It's not carbon or anything. Most likely alu. It's on my carrera subway.

Am I worrying about nothing? It's not likely to snap or anything is it?

As a general rule, how tight should I be aiming for with stuff like that? Torque wrenches and manufactures specifications are probably ideal, but unfortunately, I don't have either.
Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.

Comments

• Onan
    Since i don't have time to wait for a reply, the first test is likely to be my morning commute, which I'll get underway shortly!

I either will or will not come home with a sheared off aluminium seatpost stuck up my arse.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    with seat posts the clamping mechanism is normally the first to fail when over tightening. exotic material excluded.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Onan
    Yeah, I figured as much.

Thanks.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hi everyone

My name's Mark and I'm an overtightener. I didn't realise until this morning, but when I was trying to solve a teeny bit of headset play, I overtightened the bot on top of the headtube and sheared through whatever bit of metal that bolt threads into. Bugger.

Here's a photo of the underside of the top bolt - it's clear how and where it's broken:

bolt.jpg

Can someone tell me a) what I've broken, b) how easy it is to fix, c) can I do it myself (bearing in mind I'm a toolless spaz) and d) how much will it cost. Thank you!
  • Onan
    Overtightening is a disease. I know I should stop. I want to stop. But I just can't. I keep telling myself: Just one more turn, then I'll stop. But one turn is never enough.

It's not just bikes either. I sheared the bolt off the ratchet mechanism on the storage bed we bought from Ikea. My girlfriend has to supervise any DIY activities that require tightening now. I can't be trusted.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Given your username you really want to be a bit careful in this area.
  • Onan
    Oh I broke that off years ago.