Sportives for early 2009 for a newbie.....

Hi,

Having just had a ride out today with the Chorlton Wanderers for about 30 miles all round (when taking into account the distance riden to the starting spot), I am now looking at organised rides for early (Feb, Mar & Apr) 2009 which are a target for my winter training (ie a way to get my ass out of bed on a sunday morning :) )

I will be signing up for the 66 mile Cheshire Cat run but I was wondering which other rides people here consider a good run & challenging...

However, as I have just started out again after a few years off, I am not at the moment, looking at really competitive (or more than necessary) rides or competition ones....

Although once I'm on a bike, everyone in front is a competitor I want to pass (commute or not!!) :D

Comments

• Hi Sportbilly

You could try looking at the Peak Audax website - www.peakaudax.co.uk
    Have a look at their calendar page, and you'll see there are plenty of rides in and around the Manchester area.
    Alternatively there is the www.audax.uk.net official Audax site.

You probably know this anyway, but they are rides ranging from 60 to 600 miles, and are a darn site cheaper than a sportive, but obviously not as much organisation put into them (such as timing chips). They are excellent value for money, and a good way to meet other cyclists.

Cheers :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Lots of clubs organise "Reliability Rides" before the race season kicks off (Jan-Mar) - these are basically another type of Audax/Sportif ride. You normally get to chose a slow, medium or fast group to ride with and try and get around the course within set time limits.

Distances usually around 60 miles. Entry fee usually just a few quid.

Search British Cycling or Everydaycycling.com's event calendar and they should be listed on there.
  • You could not go too far wrong by going on the Mad March Hare.

http://www.madmarchharesportive.co.uk/
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I will be signing up for the 66 mile Cheshire Cat run but I was wondering which other rides people here consider a good run & challenging...

Some of our club runs are harder than most sportives! :shock: :D

Get yourself on the spud riley :wink:

http://www.polkadotchallenge.co.uk/background.asp
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • well....

having just sent of my membership cheque to the M'cr Wheelers...hopefully I will be able to see...

the polka dot challenge looks a good route too...when does the entry open for the 2009 event?
  • well....

having just sent of my membership cheque to the M'cr Wheelers...hopefully I will be able to see...

the polka dot challenge looks a good route too...when does the entry open for the 2009 event?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

Have you been on any rides with the Wheelers?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • not as yet, no....

but having had a quick scout on the interweb of local clubs, they seem to be among the best - and their starting point for most runs in <2 miles from me too...
  • so far I have drawn up a list of rides to enter next year...

* Mad march hare
    * Cheshire cat
    * White Rose Challenge
    * Fred Whitton Challenge

alongside other clubs sunday runs I am hoping that this should be a good inaugural season for starters....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    so far I have drawn up a list of rides to enter next year...

* Mad march hare
    * Cheshire cat
    * White Rose Challenge
    * Fred Whitton Challenge

alongside other clubs sunday runs I am hoping that this should be a good inaugural season for starters....

If you are considering the Fred Whitton Challenge, defo have a look at the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • will do...

also the polka dot one above...

need to remember to diarise the dates of these, otherwise can see me siging up for 2 runs on the same sunday!! :oops:

I can also see my girlfriend becoming a bit upset at the reduction of breakfast's in bed she will be receiving next summer too :roll: :)
  • a_n_t
    well....

Good stuff! Depends who's leading the ride as to its "epic" status :) Best one of mine was 114 miles and 9500ft of climbing. I blame the garmin for sending us off course!!

the polkadot and spud riley are being combined next year, think its june/july, not sure when the entries are open.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • so far I have drawn up a list of rides to enter next year...

* Mad march hare
    * Cheshire cat
    * White Rose Challenge
    * Fred Whitton Challenge

There's a bunch of video previews of some of the top UK Sportives here:
    http://www.cyclefilm.com/trophy07.html

Gets you some sort of idea of what you're getting into! I'm hoping to get a place on the Freddie, although it gets harder every year to get in! It's an epic route tho!!!

Good luck and best wishes for '09

Ride Hard....Fall off!
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    a_n_t wrote:

Some of our club runs are harder than most sportives! :shock: :D

Like yesterdays...... :lol:
  • ok,

having read a post on another thread, I am now considering having a go at the Clayton velo next march (although it falls on the same day ad the Mad March Hare :( )

Given the sprawling post and counter-post re the "race" elements of sportives, and knowing my own competitive element I am wondering, and asking for some advice, as to whether it is possible / wise / beneficial to combine actual race events in the North west with organised sportives?

I am fully aware that I would start as a 4th cat etc but I have always sought in sports I have played before to compete, and at the highest level possible.
  • ok,

having read a post on another thread, I am now considering having a go at the Clayton velo next march (although it falls on the same day ad the Mad March Hare :( )

Given the sprawling post and counter-post re the "race" elements of sportives, and knowing my own competitive element I am wondering, and asking for some advice, as to whether it is possible / wise / beneficial to combine actual race events in the North west with organised sportives?

I am fully aware that I would start as a 4th cat etc but I have always sought in sports I have played before to compete, and at the highest level possible.
  • I'm sure loads of people will shoot me down but in 2007 I found being fit (and I mean fit) for sportives wasn't too helpful for racing. Simply put, I could ride all day but didn't have the speed necessary for racing.

In 2008 I only rode a couple of sportives but trained specifically for racing. Found the sportives quite easy and for that reason really so enjoyable compared to racing. I got a few results in the racing too.