Ay value in taking Whitebread over Brownbread?

MoonCircuit
MoonCircuit Posts: 93
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Quickie. I'm planning an 80 mile trek around Wales for next weekend and before I go shopping for my sandwiches does anyone know if Whitebread would have any negative impact nutritionally compared to Brownbread?

Cheers.
Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.

Comments

• White bread is made from refined wheat (basically has all the goodness taken out) On the other hand, brown bread comprises whole grains that are rich in anti-oxidants like iron, magnesium, Vitamin B and Vitamin E, etc. But then people eat white for energy due to higher fat levels.

You should try to cut all that crap out of your diet and make the whole-grain switch, brown rice/pasta/bread etc.

Good luck with the ride
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • Have both. Brown bread for mains, white for dessert.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • white toasted , smothered in lard . lovely
  • ANC
    ANC Posts: 26
    From what I understand wholemeal is obviously much healthier for daily lifestyle, etc. but white is more digestible and easily converted to energy during a ride.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    ANC wrote:
    From what I understand wholemeal is obviously much healthier for daily lifestyle, etc. but white is more digestible and easily converted to energy during a ride.

That would be way I read it as the reason to take wholegrains is because they realease energy slowly thereby helping you avoid the cravings due to fluctuating sugar levels (ie you feel full for longer) however during a ride a quick energy boost is what you are looking so no advantage in going wholegrain on a ride.
  • Merckx used to eat jam and cheese rolls in events - I'm sure they were white ones. If it's good enough for god, then...
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    x8swift9x wrote:
    White bread is made from refined wheat (basically has all the goodness taken out) On the other hand, brown bread comprises whole grains that are rich in anti-oxidants like iron, magnesium, Vitamin B and Vitamin E, etc. But then people eat white for energy due to higher fat levels.

You should try to cut all that crap out of your diet and make the whole-grain switch, brown rice/pasta/bread etc./quote]

Rubbish.

White bread is made flom ground wheat from which the bran has been extracted. Bran is completely indigestable - it does serve to bulk out er brown jobs but by definition does'nt contribure any nutrients. You could argue about wheatgerm but it's a pretty minor source of protein in a balanced diet. The amount of fat in any sort of bread is negligable.
  • the heading of this post has made me think of fatima whitbread

*cries*
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    the heading of this post has made me think of fatima whitbread

*cries*

Yeah right,
    I bet you secretly think about her all the time anyway.It's probably why you are such a crap stalker.
    :p~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • preeby
    preeby Posts: 22
    doyler78 wrote:
    ANC wrote:

That would be way I read it as the reason to take wholegrains is because they realease energy slowly thereby helping you avoid the cravings due to fluctuating sugar levels (ie you feel full for longer) however during a ride a quick energy boost is what you are looking so no advantage in going wholegrain on a ride.

I'm not so sure folks - I was talking to someone recently who works in the area of sports/training, who told me that brown bread has much more carbohydrates in it than white bread, so would therefore be much better to eat during an endurance event like an 80 mile ride...

Do you know the five lamps ?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    preeby wrote:
    doyler78 wrote:
    ANC wrote:

I'm not so sure folks - I was talking to someone recently who works in the area of sports/training, who told me that brown bread has much more carbohydrates in it than white bread, so would therefore be much better to eat during an endurance event like an 80 mile ride....

Just checked two loaves to see about this and the wholegrain bread comes out at 248kcal and the white bread 230kcal per 100gm so the wholegrain has slightly more calories but really they are pretty close as to say there is little impact in taking either.

I'm not a nutritionalist nor do I have a particular interest in the subject beyond "am I getting fat" so I just go on what others have said and if you accept that wholegrains release energy more slowly then it may seem logical to conclude that in an endurance event that wholegrains may be better as they will see you through to the end of the ride as they will release energy more slowly however as they release energy more slowly then the energy that you need earlier needs to be higher to compensate and this makes simple calorie calculating for your ride less predictable ie if you put food in you expect to be able to use that energy from the food in the near future and this makes for easy calculations ie I need 700 cals an hour and all you do is drink and shovel it in to get that calorie intake and use that energy quite quickly. Wholegrains don't make that easy do they. However how much of a problem that would be for most of us I haven't a clue.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Brown bread will help keep you regular.

If you're lacking a little regularity in your life, go the brown bread route.
  • ANC
    ANC Posts: 26
    I always eat wholemeal in normal daily life (not riding usually).

Day of a long ride, I'll stock up with Wholegrains for breakfast a couple of hours before starting giving it time to be digested and giving longer energy, but eat white if I'm eating sarnies later. Most of the rolls provided on Sportives style events that I've seen were white, easier to convert quickly.
  • With white bread you can't affect a thick Yorkshire accent & tell tales about how yer dad wer a great baaker

;)
    Cheers :)

Spiny
    FCN 4
  • boybiker wrote:
    the heading of this post has made me think of fatima whitbread

*cries*

Yeah right,
    I bet you secretly think about her all the time anyway.It's probably why you are such a crap stalker.
    :p~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fatima whitbread is a "her"?

ye gods!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'