Getting it off

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited November 2008 in The workshop
How do I get a crank off it's pretty firmly wedged

also I can't get my cog off my fixed... used a chain whip and everything... I'm guessing shop for that one?
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what cranks?

most need a crank puller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The sprocket on your fixed will no doubt have tightened up with use. Plusgas it or similar and try agin in the morning with an extension on the chainwhip and a friend/wife/OH holding the wheel & tyre whilst wearing gloves. You have undone the lockring?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You might be able to rubber mallet the cranks off if you don't have a crank puller, but it's a terrible way to go about things. Crank puller is the right way and really should be the only way. They're also quite pleasing to use :)

If you're short of general tools like this the £33 lifeline toolkit from wiggle is pretty decent, but I guess if you have a chain whip you already have most of the stuff in it. Still worth a look though- a crank puller alone will be £5-£10 after all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Clever Pun
    nicklouse wrote:
    what cranks?

most need a crank puller.

Campag ones... crank puller eh? Would this one do?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Park_Tools_Cotterless_Crank_Puller/5300002313/

Redvee yes the lock ring was off
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which campag ones? model and year. or pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    If all ealse fail (plus gas/right too) - get a small blowtorch and get some heat on the sucker....that'll definitely get it off (but don't melt or distort it! - Aluminium will melt real quick!)
  • Clever Pun
    nicklouse wrote:
    which campag ones? model and year. or pics.

1 Record 06/07
    1 Veloce same
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Be careful - cheap crank pullers can do lots of damage - I intend to order a Park one for about £12, after my old one bit into the BB spindle and very nearly damaged the thread for the lock nut on my MTB......