Am i to old

rich g
rich g Posts: 124
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Can someone help me i'm 60 and suffer sore quads after a Sunday club run?
In the week i do a 15 mile ride or 20mins on the turbo,i spin rather than push big gears,but suffer on Sundays.
Could it be my age or is there something i can do to prevent it i.e., exercises or strenghen my quads.

Comments

• Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    Make sure you stretch after the rides - while you are still warm. This should make a big difference to how quickly you will recover. Personally, if I am really hurting after a ride a good soak in a bath helps and some sleep. Also try and get some food and drink in fairly quickly after the ride and make sure you consume enough fluids during the ride.
    I would have thought this should sort it out - age shouldn't be a concern at all. I also wouldn't have thought that doing exercises (beyond cycling) would be necessary - weight training increases strength and muscle bulk, however this is rarely a limiting factor when riding and the strain you feel is much more likely to be endurance caused rather than a simple lack of muscle strength.

Hope this helps,
    Al
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    I strongly suspect that the answer from most people will be along the lines of "Ride more"! You aren't doing much riding atm so I'd guess your weekend club ride is a major proportion of your weeks mileage and maybe a bit quicker than you are used to? Anyone will be sore in the quads if they ride like that. Just keep at it and it will get a bit easier! :wink:
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    actually - try a higher gear on the turbo - lower cadence in a higher gear can really stimulate the muscles while still not being damaging to your knees in a "mashing" kind of way.

I have had two bouts of knee surgery this year and find that higher-gear / lower cadence turbo sessions are really helping get my quads back in shape - in particular the vastus medialis (sp?) (inner quad above knee) which has just disappeared on my left leg through lack of use post surgery.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    Rich you're definitely not too old. :lol:
    I'm catching you up fast. If you are getting pain in the quads it could just be the fast relentless pace and distance which is a bit too much for your current level of fitness as others have said. If it is your club runs will soon build that fitness until you'll be off the front next spring :lol:

There is one other thing you should check though. If your saddle is too low that will also give you pain in the quads . Get one of the other club members to check your saddle height next meet. If you need to increase the saddleheight do it in small stages of 1/4" so that your body get used to it slowly .

The other thing to check is your cadence. Have a look around you at the other club members and take a note of their cadence and compare your own . You might be pushing too bigger gears especially on hilss. Use all your gears so you can maintain a similar level of effort .
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Peanut is right. Too low a saddle knocks hell out of the quads. Your saddle should be as high as possible but not so high that your pelvis is rocking when pedaling. Never move it more than about 5mm at any one time. Also as he says watch your cadence. And as others have said, more miles.
    You are definately not too old. I am 66 and am still competing in MTB trailquests, TTs and sportive rides. Also ride with my local club, they have to take it easy on me on the longer climbs but that is all. Just get out and get stuck in.
  • rich g
    rich g Posts: 124
    Thanks for your helpfull replies,i went on the turbo yesterday and pushed higher gears, i have highered the saddle,and i'm going for a 25 mile ride Wednesday.
    And i will be riding my bike more to see if that all helps.
  • I found a freezing cold bath immediately post ride helpful for getting rid of lactic acid & stiffness. Of course it's not too great this time of year. Better in the summer...& best on holiday by coming back from a ride & jumping straight into the pool :)
  • Al_38 wrote:
    Make sure you stretch after the rides

Not the bouncy Jane Fonda kinda streching, think more yoga kinda streching. Hot deep bath with some Radox muscle relaxation in it and a sports recovery drink to sup.
    Every winner has scars.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Youtube has some good videos on stretching