3rd Party Chains on Shimano chainsets - Conflict?

Iain28
Iain28 Posts: 22
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi thanks for checking out my thread:

I recently replaced my 8 spd chain with a new quick link connex 8 spd chain. The lengths between the new and old are identical.

However when I bear any pressure on the pedals the chain jumps upon every revolution of the pedals but yet turns freely when on the workbench.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Many thanks

Comments

• Iain28
    forgot to say:

Gears: Shimano Acera rear derailleur and Shimano C051 front - Shifters: Shimano Alivio Rapid-fire - Chainset: Shimano TX71 with 48 38 and 28 tooth chainrings

Wippermann Connex 808 8 Speed Chain
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    cassette is worn out
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Generally, if replaced due to wear, the chain and cassette should be replaced at the same time ie, if you've put a new chain on, then you should have put a new cassette on. Jumping under load is a classic sign of wear.

Regarding chain length, the chain stretches as it wears, so make sure you have put the new chain on with the same number of links rather than the same length (although this wouldn't cause skipping).

Not sure about the brand of chain you're talking about, but I often run SRAM chains with shimano cassettes with no problems.
  • Iain28
    I never had these problems with the old chain, it was just a bit rusted, so I thought I would switch it.

The teeth on the chainset dont look too bad for wear and tear, so I was reluctant to replace it.

The chain has been thread correctly on the rear del, just can't get my head round why its crunking upon pedalling
  • Your old chain and cassette would have worn out together, so would have still fitted together nicely, hence not jumping.

But as soon as you replace one of the items with something brand new, then the 'wear' will be sitting next to 'new', causing the jumping.

My dad was a painter and decorator, and he had 'cutting-in' brush he used for donkeys years, the wooden handle wore down into the shape of his hand. As soon as someone else used it, it didn't fit right in their hand. Same principle as your chain and cassette.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Iain28
    OKIDOKI

sounds like a plan

thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!