1st session on rollers!

2»

Comments

• hi every one been on my rollers tonight for the second time did ten miles two kinda holding onto door frame then seven on the hoods didnt pluck up courage to change gear or wipe away sweat though :cry: good fun and i can see now that my pedalling style is not the best. quick question my rollers are the ones from wiggle tacx £104 at moment with no resistance can you add resistance or just use bigger gears and spin more? any newish riders out there fancy a ride? :D
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Rollers can be surprisingly hard.
    Mine are cyclops and I use them for warm up on track before races and for sprint training.
    I forgot mine the other night and went on tacx, they were much less resistance.
    I only go on the with my fixed track bike.
    They do get easier but most people seem to find them hard to start pedalling.
    The problem is the more hesitant you are the worse it feels and when your holding or leaning onto somtehing can make it worse as you "jitter" when leaving go :D
    Easiest way is to be in position on the bike, upright and balanced and not leaning .
    It is also easier not to pedal to a high speed first before leaving go.
    I just hold on support, clip in, pedal half a rev and leave go and as you start to pedal it feels more balanced than holdong on whilst pedalling about 30mph and leave go :D That like hanging on a car going downhill then leaving go, would you do that? No. When you start on your road bike you just pedal and away you go, you dont hold on car until your doing 20mph so do the same :D Works for me anyway.

Take a look at how you can increse cadence for sprinting in link below :D
    When clip finishes there is one of Craig McClean also, wow legspeed:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IEucX3Hx_9U
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089

Hi OldWelshman - haven't seen you around here for a while.
    I'm still a long way from starting like you do - takes me minutes to get on and start. My rollers have a big diameter so I'm quite high off the floor and I have to balance on the bar to get on them - in slippy soled shoes on a narrow bit of metal, that in itself is difficult.
    Are your cyclops rollers the ones with resistance? For the moment I can increase the gears enough to make it challenging enough but I see a day when I'm going to want more resistance.

Some nice clips there - particularly like the fast group ride. Did you read some of the comments though? fatass turds???? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    And some sprint training :D 12 x 30secs will do nicely !!
    One of my roller sessions consists of 4 blocks of 5 x 30 sec sprints with just a minute easy spinning between each sprint. I always do that one on the track bike - it's a killer, especially with some resistance! :shock: 8)
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Eddy S
    quick question my rollers are the ones from wiggle tacx £104 at moment with no resistance can you add resistance or just use bigger gears and spin more?
    You can't fit the current Tacx T1350 resistance unit to the Antares rollers.
  • hi every one can you fit any resistance to the tacx antares rollers and whats the benefit of these free motion home made ones i have seen on here? :)
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    popette wrote:

For the moment I can increase the gears enough to make it challenging enough but I see a day when I'm going to want more resistance.

:
    I spend most my time in top gear (52-12) but just spin a bit faster. The state I'm in after 40 minuits at 80% I don't think I need much higher gears. :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Eddy S
    hi every one can you fit any resistance to the tacx antares rollers...
    Okay, obviously my answer wasn’t specific enough...

You can't fit the current Tacx T1350 resistance unit to the Antares rollers and Tacx don’t make a new resistance unit that will fit the Antares.
  • ok mr sarcastic i was just askin if there was a do it your self way? :D and what the advantages of the free motion rollers were thanks anyway :oops:
  • I think I'm gonna give the rollers a go. Hopefully after a while I'll be able to do this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJ ... re=related

:lol:
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I think I'm gonna give the rollers a go. Hopefully after a while I'll be able to do this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJ ... re=related

:lol:

the next trick is taking your top on and off, then riding eyes closed :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Do you find that rollers are quieter than a turbo trainer? I'm thinking of ordering rollers to use in the house.
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Yes much quieter .... no fan for resistance!

Careful of the lounge carpet though .. if you come off the rollers there'll be some scorch marks when the tyre hits the carpet :D

It's great to be .....
  • oldwelshman
    popette wrote:

Hi OldWelshman - haven't seen you around here for a while.
    I'm still a long way from starting like you do - takes me minutes to get on and start. My rollers have a big diameter so I'm quite high off the floor and I have to balance on the bar to get on them - in slippy soled shoes on a narrow bit of metal, that in itself is difficult.
    Are your cyclops rollers the ones with resistance? For the moment I can increase the gears enough to make it challenging enough but I see a day when I'm going to want more resistance.

Some nice clips there - particularly like the fast group ride. Did you read some of the comments though? fatass turds???? :lol::lol::lol:

I did not read the comments :D
    As I have been going to Newprt track a lot recently no time for forum :D
    I will be surprised if you need resistance on rollers, just pedal faster :D
    My rollers seem to have more resistance than others, maybe the drive belt is a bit tight :D
  • oldwelshman
    pjh wrote:
    Yes much quieter .... no fan for resistance!

Careful of the lounge carpet though .. if you come off the rollers there'll be some scorch marks when the tyre hits the carpet :D

Not true :D
    It depends on the floor surface. I have wooden floors and when I sprint on the rollers it sounds like an eartwuake in my room :D Must be resonant frequeny of floor same as about 180rpm on rollers :D
    I also used them in a hotel room once and I think I must have scared the life out of the people in room below due to the noise.
  • Ok which rollers do you recommend !

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tacx_ ... 360039479/

or the cyclops -

Hoping to order soon.... thanks Santa :wink:
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Might have a go at making some, just have to get the time :)
  • hi every one been on my rollers again tonight (tacx antares) which i have gotta say am loving used to have a turbo and found it boring but that was a long time ago so glad i got the rollers as a early xmas present to my self. Have been commuting for just over a year only 12 miles a day but suppose every little helps, got a road bike on ctws and wanted to get fit enough to race again next year but hate the rain and the cleaning after :x . so these rollers are helping me a lot i feel want to build up a good base fitness and feel these are helping a lot so to any one thinking off getting some do it best thing i ever did lol. i can even change gear now :D