Cumbrian Christmas Cracker

speedy641
speedy641 Posts: 89
Anyone doing/done this one?

http://www.epicevents.org/section.php?xSec=17

I'm signed up and am keen for advice on it or horror stories about the hills etc....

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    speedy641 wrote:
    Anyone doing/done this one?

http://www.epicevents.org/section.php?xSec=17

I'm signed up and am keen for advice on it or horror stories about the hills etc....

Never did this particluar route but have covered some of it at some point...only real climbs I know in the route are Red Bank from Grasmere and Gummers How nearing the end...Red Bank is VERY steep...25%....but not very long (long enough!), Gummers How represents a more serious challenge...its a steep sustained brute....20% sections easy...and there is one very steep ramp nearing the top....lovely climb!

For more info on this area have a look at my mates cracking website:- if your worried and need some info then you can get in touch with Allan in the 'contact' link....hes a VERY helpful gentleman and knows the area like the back of his hand:-

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localrides/index.htm
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    A search would have found you this: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12583478
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Posted this a while ago
    It would be a good choice, I did this as my first sportive last year & despite being colder than I have ever been it didn't put me off & I have done several more since.

Being December It was bitterly cold but after a week of sub zero temperatures, on the day it was actually about 2°C so the roads were ok.

Although only about 70 people entered, the atmosphere was brilliant & the Epic Events team are very friendly & helpful.

Its a great route, through Grizedale Forest & then Hawkshead, Ambleside, Grasmere up the very steep Red Bank (no shame in walking) on to Coniston & east of the lake before the 'sting in the tail' of Fell Foot & Gummers Howe another steep climb.

Best of all the free Christmas Pud & custard at the finish was a inspired idea.

A word of warning if you do enter don't get your 'Cartmels' mixed up as the start is at Cartmel Fell (a very remote place) not Cartmel Village.

I counted the entrants on the Epic website and well over 200 so far, should be a great day!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Check their winter duathlons too - a good chance to do a 10 mile TT (and run if you feel like it, not compulsory) in the depth of winter: http://www.epicevents.org/section.php?xSec=7 Pudding at the end...
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Does anyone have an entry for this that they don't want?? Thought I had loads of time to enter but apparently it's full!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    What a pain. I thought it would be one that you could enter up to a week before!
  • I'm doing it, i was going to do it on my carbon MTB but i've now borrowed a road bike!

So should be more fun, you will notice me on road bike in MTB gear and peaked helmet!

Should be a good day.
  • Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    Looking at the weather forecast I reckon this could be a chilly one.

Are the roads on the route prone to ice? Should I bring my body armour and full-face???
    Higs
  • Being December It was bitterly cold but after a week of sub zero temperatures, on the day it was actually about 2°C so the roads were ok.

As you can see the weather was very similar to this last year, if it does freeze the roads will indeed be very prone to ice.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I had a ride out yesterday on some of the roads that are used for this event, Gummers How was an excellent way to get warmed up! The roads have been salted and were mainly ok; the biggest problem is where water has overflowed across the tarmac and frozen. I got back in one piece but rode with caution. There was the odd frozen puddle at the side of the road so I would not recommend ‘bunch’ riding; mirror signal manoeuvre well ahead of the hazard!
  • Hi Tim here.Doing ride on sunday.Got a journey there so just wondered what time most people starting?Any idea what forcast is?Has there been much snow?Should be a laugh
  • Dr M
    Dr M Posts: 171
    quite a lot of snow round windermere + ambleside yesterday. Melting today but some of the smaller roads still got quite a bit on them. Main ones all clear. Not sure how warm it'll be tomorrow so i dont know if it'll melt. I might have a drive around and see what the route roads are like. I'm not doing the ride as loaded with cold and have managed to hurt my wrist when i slipped clearing snow trying toget the car unstuck yesterday :(
  • cheers for that quick reply.can u update me tommorow.pm.cheers.
  • Hi Tim,

As been said some of the roads look abit ropey, i believe Red Bank has been gritted, but snowy round elterwater.

The Epic site says they will make a decision Sunday morning, but they have been putting road markers out today so must be still planning on it.

Forecast was to get warmer tomorrow but our road outside is thick ice!

Fingers crossed for this, we are starting at 9am all being well.
  • Hi
    if it is anything like here tomorrow ill be gutted.Black ice.on roads not been gritted.Plus side thawing,probably snow now!Heres to hoping. :lol: fingers crossed .
  • Hi, I live in Heysham, about 40 minutes from the Lakes, and went out for about 2 hours this morning (main roads) and although it was glorious, it was chilly and there had been a frost overnight. I only left at 8.30am and the sun was just about getting onto the roads while the traffic built up.

This was the view of the Lakes from the bottom of my road this morning:-

3086035955_ec1916c336_m.jpg

I went up to Cartmell Fell last Friday with a view to having a ride around the course, but there was a dense, freezing fog, and then it started raining/sleeting, so I never actually got on the bike and decided to go back home (where the weather was great!),.

The overnight forecast for Cumbria is below zero, which don't bode well, but improving to 5 degrees from 9am onwards (but will feel like 0 degrees) according to metcheck.

Icy roads are my worry :(
  • Check out the newsflash from the organisers if you haven't already seen it.

[url]lhttp://www.epicevents.org/section.php?xSec=17[/url]
  • Dr M
    Dr M Posts: 171
    just been out shopping in the car to kendal from windermere and came back on some of the smaller roads.

Some of the minor roads (didnt actually go on any of the proper route as it was a bit far out of my way) just have the two black stripes of tarmac visible were wheels have been with the rest of the road as ice. Even on the gritted ones though, theres quite a bit of black ice in the shaded bits, and still some deepish patches of snow at the road edge + the occasional patch in the middle.

Was 4-5 degrees outside in the sun, but clear skies so temps probably going below freezing tonight.
  • Hmmmm my prediction is that it aint going to happen then :(

This was going to be my first sportive as well.

Probably still get up there early doors, would hate not to turn up and for it then not to be cancelled.

The road up to Cartmell Fell Village Hall is a 'lane' and quite hilly. I guess it could be quite nasty if there is a frost overnight. There is very little space for parking at the Hall itself.

Probably end up doing a similar length ride closer to home (Bowland /Over Wyre) if its cancelled.
  • Just had an email....

It is with great regret that we are cancelling the Christmas Cracker Sportive event tomorrow. We had every intention of waiting until tomorrow to make a decision but having spoken to local residents we have received news that much of the route is not fit to ride and would be far too dangerous. I hope that this message reaches you before you choose to travel and apologise for the disappointment caused by the recent bad weather.

Regards
    Marc Laithwaite

:cry::cry::cry:
  • Hi everyone

Just had an E-mail to say its CANCELLED, got to be the right decision, been out in the mountains today and all the minor roads are very icy.

Its a shame for Epic as they put a lot of effort into organising this and are brave enough to try and have a Sportive in December. Last year the weather warmed up just in time but sadly not to be this year.
  • Got in before me!
  • lAt least i have one more route to ride next time i am in the hills.
    Are there any more climbs off "the beaten track" like hardknott honister etc that are worth doing in the future?Doing lakeland loop in april again anyone else?registration open on epic web site.lo
  • D@VE
    D@VE Posts: 73
    Gutted!

:cry::cry::cry:
  • Was my first sportive too, so was looking forward to it.

Will they refund or re organise it?

Got some mates up for the event, wouldn't know where to send them for a ride as alot of the roads are still in a bad state.
  • lAt least i have one more route to ride next time i am in the hills.
    Are there any more climbs off "the beaten track" like hardknott honister etc that are worth doing in the future?Doing lakeland loop in april again anyone else?registration open on epic web site.lo

Try ..this - link to route. based on Broughton in furness, should give your legs a reasonable work-out when you are next up this way
  • ..well no cycling, so I went ice climbing! ....and you don't often say that nowadays when in the Lakes. :D
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Shame it was cancelled, but very wise they did. I live in Swarthmoor and on Sunday we went up through Coniston into Great Langdale. We delayed starting off until 10:30, once the freezing fog had dispersed! Fair bit of snow about up there still, though the roads were clear. We were going to go over Wall End, but then heard that Red Bank had been closed to traffic due to ice, so reckoned if that was iced up, then Wall End had no chance!
    So, had a coffee in Stickle Barn and then headed back.
    Had a couple of 'cure for constipation' moments on the lanes up from Lowick to the Broughton Beck road, so some of the route they were going on would have been unrideable I reckon. Pity, 'cos it would have been a good event.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    At least i have one more route to ride next time i am in the hills.
    There's a few on here if you're interested. http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localrides/index.htm
    Ride 4 on the list is a good one. A few stiff climbs in that.
    Wouldn't try it this week though ;-)
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • its back on! its now on the 1 february same route and start, all entries have move to the new date. anyone up for training ion the roads used in this or the fred whitton? im out most week days doing 40-70 miles. really loking forward to doing this sportive right on my doorstep ion road that i ride on a regular basis