alivio rapid fire cable

baggerwurz
baggerwurz Posts: 3
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all Came across this site while trying to fix my sons gears.He has alivio rapidfire shifters and I need to change the cables.Problem is I cant work out how to get the shifter apart to put the cable in.Can anyone tell me how to or direct me to somewhere that shows me.Thanks in advance

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I assume they are similar to my deore ones. If you look from the end of the handlebars towards the changer, you will see a plastic screw underneath the triggers. Remove this, click the changer towards you as far as it will go and feed the cable out of the hole vacated by the screw, feeding the cable from the mech end until you can just pull it all the way out. Feed the new one back in the same way.
  • Thanks Liam.How stupid do I feel now after spending a good part of the afternoon taking the whole shifter apart!!!I
  • baggerwurz wrote:
    Thanks Liam.How stupid do I feel now after spending a good part of the afternoon taking the whole shifter apart!!!I

Your not alone.. When I got my Alivio Shifters it took days to work it out!! :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Don't think Alivio shifters have the screw, just a hole in the shifter near the handlebar clamp. Move the shifter into 7th/8th gear and you should be able to push the old cable out, push the new one in the same way after lubing it first.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    baggerwurz wrote:
    Thanks Liam.How stupid do I feel now after spending a good part of the afternoon taking the whole shifter apart!!!I

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done exactly the same as well :D