Specialized Tarmac vs Cannondale vs Trek - help needed.

dizz07
dizz07 Posts: 13
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi guys.
Could I have some worldly advice?
I have around £1000-£1100 to spend on a racer.
In my shop they have:
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 Compact 2008 Road Bike, reduced from £1250 to £999.
Specialized Tarmac Elite 2008 road bike, reduced from £1300 to £999
Trek Madone 4.5 Double 2008 Road Bike, reduced from £1400 to $1099.
Cannondale SIX13 105 Compact 2008 Road Bike, reduced $1350 to £1099.

I have test rode the top two and have to say I liked them both, but its so hard to tell on a 5 minute test ride.

I generally commute 10-15 miles a day, want to use it for flat training and for longer distance rides with climbs (I have lands-end to john o'groats planned next year).
does any one have some advice to which one I should pick? I obviously need a comfy ride around london and on long distance, but I also want the best components my money can buy and some speed to leave my friends standing (not asking much then! lol).
Cheers guys, maybe I can now get on with some work rather than drooling over expensive bikes.

Comments

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    A friend of mine manages a bike shop and has basically the pick of what he rides, he could have a new Cannondale Super6, a new Trek 6.9 etc etc, but he rides a six13.

He also personally has about 30 bikes in total everything from classic Colnagos to track bikes to vintage steel fixies etc, but he always rides the six13.

He knows a thing or 2 about bikes.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • All good bikes ( never tried the trek but tried the others ) .

The Tarmac is more a race machine and will be a little more stretched out probably come with higher gearing also ; so okay for commutes however more relaxed geometry and a compact maybe more suitable especially for long hilly rides ( dependant on fitness ).

The SIX 13 again is more a race bred machine and is very stiff . Great bike but I suspected that it would shake my fillings out on a longer ride .

Never ridden the Trek so cant comment .

I have the Synapse . Great for long distance rides ; buttery smooth . The geometry is somewhere between relaxed and race .
    The only detractor is the BB30 bottom bracket . While adding to the stiffness I had to replace after 3000 miles :-( . Its proprietory and cost £90 .

Alternatively
    Wiggle do a 1 week money back guarntee on the Focus range and the new Kiron ( gets great write ups ) this option will maybe get you better groupset or wheels .for your money
    Lots of folks like PLaner X probably best value for money .

I preferr to try before buy as comfort is a personal thing . WHats good for one is not necessarily good for another . All decent bikes so you pick the one that floats your boat .
  • dizz07
    dizz07 Posts: 13
    Thanks guys, much help.
    I looked at the Planet X pro carbon. It looks a great deal to be fair, but i'd really want to try it out before ordering it. plus I don't have the time to build it, which would cost me £100 extra.
    What's your thoughts on this bike?
    I have just ordered in a six13 to my LBS, should be able to test it on Friday - I have some hope it's what I'm after.
    Any more advice however?
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    IMO the planet x is too good a deal to miss!!!

i ride a spesh tarmac, and it is fantastic!!! i really love it, cant rate it high enough!

i also have a planet x TT bike, and that too is awesome!
    for 900quid you could get the planet x and then spend whatever you have left on upgrades, or, just pocket the extra savings!!!

but go for the one YOU want/like the look of best/like the ride of best, as its you thats stuck with it once you part with your cash!!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!