Alcohol and lunches

owen_MTB
owen_MTB Posts: 222
edited November 2008 in Health, fitness & training
How detrimental is this to training and weight loss/gain?
I dont drink overly much but i do like a few beers on the weekends and during the week i go to the gym lifting weights 4 times a week and dont want this effort to go to waste. Along with obviously my biking.
And, does anyone have any good ideas for packed lunches? I never have any ideas what to get from the shops for the week. Bearing in mind i dont like fish.
Thanks, Owen.
It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness

Comments

• KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    As everyone knows excessive alcohol is bad and can cause liver damage etc... etc.., which is irreversible. Even just binging at the weekend is enough to cause scarring. Apparently, drinking alcohol in small amounts can increase good cholesterol, therefore reducing bad. And will also help restore your muscle glycogen after lifting all those weights.

When I have a pint these days I go for the Carlsberg 3.8% as opposed to Stella 5.2% and other premium beers.
  • cider has less calories....drink that instead and you wont feel as bad :)
  • Secla
    Secla Posts: 71
    obviously any alcohol doesnt help your progress but a couple of pints on a weekend isnt going to hurt you much really, as for lunchs if your talking about work do you have a microwave ? if you do you can have pretty much anything you would eat for a regular meal, i usually take chilli beef and rice to work and then some fruit and a chicken sandwich
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    While I think lunctime drinking isn't a brilliant idea if regularly done, I think it's too easy to be OTT on bashing the odd drink.

Being too uptight is worse than just enjoying a drink every now and again - and apparently it's good for your heart anyway!
  • you shouldnt microwave food, it ruins it and takes away any nutrition, leaves it as fatty, soggy crap and those ready meals that come in plastic tubs, when you microwave the plastic it produces oestrogen, fine if your a bird but no good if your a guy trying to lose the moobs. your best to make up some sarnies and get some fresh fruit down you for lunchtimes, save the cooking for at home when you can do it the way grandma used to, in the oven or in a pot.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • KB8
    those ready meals that come in plastic tubs, when you microwave the plastic it produces oestrogen

That's weird. How did you find that out? Can you get ones that produce testosterone aswell. :D
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Sounds like you've got a similar lifestyle to me, no beer during the week, few at weekends, packed lunches and a bit of weight training.

I've lost nearly 2 stone since spring doing this so it works, just maybe not as efficiently as completely cutting out the booze!

Chicken, tuna, turkey and ham are all on my list. You could make up some pesto pasta, rice and peppers etc.

Just don't smother your sandwiches, pasta or rice in mayo or other dressings, its usually these that contain the saturated fats your trying to keep under control.

And drink real ale or real cider, less additives and less bloating gas. They also taste a lot nicer.
  • you shouldnt microwave food, it ruins it and takes away any nutrition, leaves it as fatty, soggy crap and those ready meals that come in plastic tubs, when you microwave the plastic it produces oestrogen, fine if your a bird but no good if your a guy trying to lose the moobs. your best to make up some sarnies and get some fresh fruit down you for lunchtimes, save the cooking for at home when you can do it the way grandma used to, in the oven or in a pot.

LMAO, where did you hear that? the sun?

thats a load of bull!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Agreed - that is utter crap of the highest order.

And that's from a Materials Engineer...
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Agreed - that is utter crap of the highest order.

And that's from a Materials Engineer...
    And a nutritionist/dietitian (haven't decided yet :lol: ) :wink:
  • Secla
    Secla Posts: 71
    how the hell can you make a hormone from microwaving plastic ?
  • Hormones are not realeased when a plastic container is heated but.... Chemical compounds are!!

Bisphenol-A is a chemical compound is used in the production of plastic food containers and cans. The release of the chemical into the foods stored within these containers has been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer of people eating this food.

The only way this can be linked to the production of oestrogen, is the fact that an increased level of Bisphenol-A in the body causes tissues to be sensitive to this hormone.

As for alcohol, it not only the calories that you have to watch out for. Alcohol in the blood also reduces the amount of testosterone produced by the body so any work down at the gym could be totally wasted as muscle will not repair as efficiently.
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • KB8 wrote:
    As everyone knows excessive alcohol is bad and can cause liver damage etc... etc.., which is irreversible. .

Actually the liver is the only organ that can repair itself
  • KB8
    zeroseven wrote:
    KB8 wrote:
    As everyone knows excessive alcohol is bad and can cause liver damage etc... etc.., which is irreversible. .

Fair enough I should have said can be irreversible

It can repair itself to an extent. Have your ever heard of liver damage, liver failure? Why do some people require liver transplants? Why didn't their livers repair themselves?
  • KB8 wrote:
    zeroseven wrote:
    KB8 wrote:

Fair enough I should have said can be irreversible

It can repair itself to an extent. Have your ever heard of liver damage, liver failure? Why do some people require liver transplants? Why didn't their livers repair themselves?

Because we're now no longer talking about a couple of pints .... I've drunk, heavily at times, for 40 years, started at Junior school. This year I've drunk to the point of being drunk in various stages almost every day, currently doing 28 days sober just to prove OI can.

Thats not to condone it obviously, but its a reality I deal with on a daily basis.

50 years old, never felt fitter. Mainly thanks to cycling about 70/80 miles
  • KB8
    You won't be saying that when you turn yellow.... :D
  • KB8 wrote:
    You won't be saying that when you turn yellow.... :D

COOL! I'm a Norwich fan.....