Terra Nova Laser Competition

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm on the verge of buying a TN laser Comp but still have a few reservations. Has anyone got/had experience of this tent? I'm especially interested to learn of any of its downsides. I'm drawn to it by its weight but aren't too sure about its stability in high winds. Any thoughts on this and any other issues would be appreciated.
For the past 10-odd years Ive used a Saunders Jetpacker, which is phenomonally dependable, but I'm looking for something a bit lighter and quicker to erect. The number of guide ropes and pegs used by the Saunders account for it's strength but also explain the amount of time it takes to put up.

Comments

• zonc
    zonc Posts: 37
    edited November 2008
    Hello,

I use both of these tents as a professional - I am a wilderness guide in Scotland so they both get alot of abuse! I use them on foot and awheel too.

I have more experience in the Jetpacker and love it because it has alot of history/epic stories to tell with me. It is 12 years old and although I have punctured the groundsheet - I repaired it with gaffer tape in the field and it still keeps out the water.
    last year I purchased a Laser light and have used it in HUGE winds. I do not tend to pitch in exposed positions but have had it flap - scarily in a force 8 with no damage to it or me 'though it did shake some. It is super light and easy to pitch - once you get the idea. It has a large vestibule and is easy to get into compared to the coffin nature of the Saunders. To reach the Lasers light weight things like zips are wee in girth but not length and although I have yet to have ANY problems fear that they may go whilst out in the field. This could be potentially disastrous! Like the Saunders there is a wee situation with condensation. The nice thing about the laser is that you can use the entrance as a shelter to prep food/kit/cook in and although the Saunders can also be used but it does not have the space availability. and one needs to be lying down inside the tent to access out - if you get my drift. the laser light does have a an extra ground sheet which I regularly use to save the too light, in my opinion, sewn in one so the packed weight is hardly noticeable between the too. The lasers uber light carbon/titanium pegs are not man enough for my use and I swapped them for a set of standard alloy ones.

The Laserlight is best for weight and roominess and easy to get into and out of but I do not think I will be still using it in eleven years time! Interestingly the pack size is similar for the both however because of the extra 50cm fixed end poles then the Laser ends up being that length.

So it is a difficult call but if you are after light weight then the Laserlight is the one. I believe Mark Beaumont used one in his round the world record attempt!

if you fancy trying one out come on one of my courses! Next year I will be running them specifically for cycle tourists. I am in the process of posting the course on the web.

best

Zonc

www.islaywildernessguide.co.uk
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Zonc

wildernss??
  • zonc
    opps - thanks

it should read Wilderness.

Thanks for pointing it out

www.islaywildernessguide.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks Zonc. I've inspected an erected Laser Comp and I like the headroom. I can sit in it with my neck and back straight, something I can't quite manage in my Saunders, thanks to the few centimetres difference in height between the two.
    One thing I noticed about the laser was that the material used on the fly sheet is remarkably thin. The sales chap (at Cotswold Outdoor) said this contributed to it's low weight. He went on to assure me that it is also very waterproof and exceedingly strong. He said that a rep from Terra Nova visited the store with some samples of the material used for the fly and not one of the staff could rip it or damage it (scissors and knives excepted). One minor concern, however, came from someone who'd used the laser: the fly sheet makes a lot of noise when it's windy. He likened it to a crisp packet rustling when you scrunch it up in your hand!. A good shake of the tent confirmed that unless it was erected quite tautly, loud rustling during windy periods could be an issue. (The chap concerned told me it was enough to keep him awake for most of the night.)
    I'll admit it: I've fallen head over heels for the Laser's weight, ease of erection and disassembly, and headroom. Are these factors alone enough to warrant my purchasing the Laser? I'm still undecided!
    The reason I asked about it's stability during high winds was that I understand that Mark Beaumont's (the round the world record holder) Laser Comp collapsed in strong winds on a couple occasions during his trip. Not what you want. My Saunders, on the other hand, has withstood some phenomenal storms, most memorably in Wyoming during my Trans-American ride, without any problem whatsoever.
    Decisions, decisions.
  • zonc
    The chap in Cotswold is correct they are very noisy. I would always try and search for a sheltered spot for my Laser. I guess, if you have both, like me, you then have a choice!

It is a cracking piece of kit.

Zonc
  • Rob_L
    Rob_L Posts: 34
    One option I've been looking at for next year is the Helium 100

http://www.vango.co.uk/products/f10tentsInfo.aspx?productid=3&modelid=4

Similar weight to the laser but a bit cheaper. No guy ropes so I'm not sure how stable it will be (although if you believe the blurb on the website, the internal bracing makes it very stable). Also, its quite low, so sitting up will be an issue.

The heliem 200 is slightly heavier but has a bit more room.

Has anyone any experience of these?
  • KM2
    KM2 Posts: 147
    I have a Quazer for sale unused, Just want a fair price for it.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    KM2 wrote:
    I have a Quazer for sale unused, Just want a fair price for it.

Quazer? Got a link to what it is looks like/specs at all? And what is a fair price that you are thinking of? PM me about it please, if you would.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • KM2
    Try www.terra-nova.co.uk.
    I don't want to let it go too cheeply but it isn't going to be used.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    The Quasar is a 2-person, 4-pole geodesic mountain tent. Weight would be somewhere in the 2.5 to 5kg range depending on which version (Superlight/Ultra/Standard/ETC/Heavy Duty)
  • KM2
    It is the standard model.
    Price about £250
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    I've only seen the Laser Comp on the web, but it looks quite stable and is amazingly light for a double skinned tent. However, it's ridiculously expensive. I've used a Henry Shires Contrail tarptent and it works very well in 3 season weather. It's free of the condensation issues of most single walled tents. It comes with 4 stakes and guy lines, but I add 3 extra to guy out the pole at the front and the sides of the tent in really foul weather. Best of all it weighs 680g, packs to 14"x 4" cylinder and it's half the price of the Laser Comp

http://www.tarptent.com