Checklist for before after cycling?

Cantdosleepy
Cantdosleepy Posts: 122
edited November 2008 in The workshop
I'm just beginning this commuting business. What should I be doing before and after each journey? At the moment before a ride I just give the tyres a quick squeeze to make sure they're firm, and then make sure my lights are working. After a ride I just stick the bike under a tarp.

What are the three or four things I should be doing every pre/post journey?

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Before: yawning, making sure you get into your clothes without falling over or putting them on backwards. After: slumping onto sofa with optional beer/glass of wine.
  • Indeed.

My morning routine does have a worrying 'stand near radiator until bleary eyes stop watering' step in it. Then after 200 metres on the bike my left eye is usually streaming.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    check your lights when you get home.

They may look bright after being off for 12 hours, but not have sufficent charge to keep them bright all journey- they run down
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • I usually check my brakes before leaving as well., also that i have my lock and keys!

For watery eyes, i've found clear glasses work wonders, IIRC yellow lenses help with low light conditions as well.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Remember trousers - especially of you have an important meeting.
  • For before after cycling I'd recommend checking that:
    (a) you have stopped
    (b) if (a), you are not in the middle of road
    (c)if (a) and (b), you have placed one or more feet on ground.
  • yup my wife has a habit of silly falls of bikes, ie stop by kerb put foot out, which isn't quite long enought, and then keel over...

though she hasn't for a while since I sorted her out a bike that fits.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    And it's easier to ride without carrying a musical instrument ;)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Get up and untangle from duvet/sofa/bath tub/wherever I dropped previous night - check
    Brush Teeth (assumed my own toothbrush) - Check
    Put on clothes (goes with "find clothes") - check
    walk/run dawg (depends on what I had for dinner last night) - check
    cup of tea check (pre checks include, water/kettle/cup/tea bag and the all imoportant "have we got any milk?") - check
    put on cycle kit (found on floor usually) - check
    kiss wife - check (depends on mood)
    cycle to work - check

Thats about it - do maint every weekend or when necessary - Spen666 is right about lights though - many a time I have been cycling home and my lights have failed.