changing a crank set

gloves007uk
gloves007uk Posts: 33
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
hi all right i want to change my crankset on my banshee
what sort of things do i need to take into consideration when selecting a new one ?
does it have to be a certain measure as to fit the bike ?
its just i dont want to by one and find it wont fit at the min thinking about getting one of these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6030
does any one know if it will fit ?
also while i am here do i need any job speial tools ?
also will i need to by a new chain
chris

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    What Bottom Bracket do you have?

If your chain is worn then i would purchase a new one so that it doesnt wear the teeth on the new cranks. If its new then there's no point.
  • Vivid wrote:
    What Bottom Bracket do you have?

If your chain is worn then i would purchase a new one so that it doesnt wear the teeth on the new cranks. If its new then there's no point.

with the one i have on now i notice that the chain slips alot when putting some pressure on the pedals when biking xc
  • what do you mean by a bottom bracket sorry all new to this
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    what do you mean by a bottom bracket sorry all new to this

This'll help then

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bicycle_parts
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • just found this out about my bottom bracket

Bottom Bracket Brand:Truvativ
    Bottom Bracket Model:Power Spline
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of parktools.

if you want to keep your current BB then you will need a powerspline crankset.

if you get the one you linked to you will need one set of tools to remove the old cranks and BB, you will then need to get the BB shell faced and then use some other tools to fit the new bb cups and then you will be able to fit the cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

if you get the one you linked to you will need one set of tools to remove the old cranks and BB, you will then need to get the BB shell faced and then use some other tools to fit the new bb cups and then you will be able to fit the cranks.

sounds like quite a big job?
    would i have to do this to any crankset i want to change or are there ones i can just swap over if so which ones?
  • would one of these fit by any chance?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24172
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It would fit your frame, but not your current crankset.

You have three options:

a) Change the chainrings on your chainset (assuming that is the problem)

b) Change the chainset. This would require the new chainset to be compatible with the old one, ie a POWERSPLINE.

c) Change the chainset and bottom bracket.

I am still not sure what you are trying to achieve.
  • nicklouse wrote:

sounds like quite a big job?
    would i have to do this to any crankset i want to change or are there ones i can just swap over if so which ones?

The main cause of the extra work here is changing from Powerspline to an external BB type.

The newer external BB's are especially sensitive to axial alignment (basically if the faces of the frame aren't perfectly parrallel to bearing will be very slightly twisted). This causes premature failure of the BB bearings.

Also because of the change in type, there are different tools for each type. Most LBS's will change the bits over and face the BB for a charge.

I personally would do it myself, but my frame has already been faced and I have the tools.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!