Upgrading to a fast commuter

chrishan
chrishan Posts: 9
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Currently riding to work (8miles through London) on MTB with slicks and now looking to get something a little bit quicker. I will be doing the odd 60 mile organised bike ride.

I want to stick to Flat bars due to the riding position in town and have narrowed the search to 3 bikes.

Charge Mixer 2009 (Alfine 8 speed 39T)
Ridgeback Flight 03 (18 speed 50/34)
Ridgeback Flight 04 (Alfine 8 speed 45T)

I am going to test out the Charge Mixer with the internal Hub to see how the 8 gears perform.

Any feedback on these bikes and the Alfine Hub would be great or any other bike suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    chrishan wrote:
    I want to stick to Flat bars due to the riding position in town and have narrowed the search to 3 bikes.

I'm sure it's something that's been debated to death, but are you sure the riding position on drops isn't good in town? Drops give you the choice of upright, hoods, or a variety of positions, far more options than flat bars. Why don't you give drops a go and see how you get on?
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    chrishan wrote:
    or any other bike suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris - if you're thinking of a Flat bar bike - how about the FCR 1 or 2 ?

FCR 2 - (2008) - £ 369

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2008

FCR 1 - (2008) - £ 449

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2008
  • I've been riding a Ridgeback Element for the last six months, its been perfect, I'd highly recomend it.
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • Thanks for the responses.

I was originally going to get a Drop bar bike but thought long and hard about where I will be riding apart from daily commute, local park bridal paths and very light off road. I don't really want to have 2 bikes (my wife will have the MTB) I looked at the Cyclo cross bikes which could still be an option.

I will be testing 3 bikes at Evans and I will make sure 1 has drops.

I really fancy the disc brakes and internal hub on the fast commuters I have been looking at now need to make a decision. This search has been going on too long :D

I know its a compromise but I will add some bar ends to give more riding positions which I definitely need.

Thanks for listening
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    I have had a Bianchi Camaleonte with alfine gears since October. Have done about 600 miles and it's going fine. Pretty quick due to 25mm tyres and light frame. Also much cheaper than the Mixer but has v-brakes. Hub gear works well and in the time and weather since I got it , I reckon I would have to cleaned the transmission of my old derailleur bike about twice. I have only given this a quick wipe plus lube. Much better. Problem is that it's difficult to get these gears with drop but for my commute (avearge round trip 19 miles) it's not really a prob.