Revolution

iain_j
iain_j Posts: 1,941
edited December 2008 in Track
Thinking of getting tickets for one of the upcoming Revolutions at Manchester. What goes on? Is it a whole day of racing, or just an evening? Do they squeeze many events in, and is it good quality racing?

Questions, questions :D

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I ve not been but apparently its just an evening starting at 7 and they cram in a whole load of events from the pros to thre juniors and minor cyclo-celebrities

Apprently they re great fun - "wall to wall entertainment" was used by one mate!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I think it's sold out now though
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Yes they are great fun to watch - about 3 to 3.5 hours racing starting at 7pm. Plenty of racing, disco lights and loud music - not bad for £12.

Next available date is 6th Dec as the Nov 15th meet is sold out.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    They're definitely worth going to. As others have said, wall-to-wall racing without any sort of break. Hugh Porter commented during the World Cup that they're hard work for him to commentate on as he doesn't usually get enough break to have a glass of water during the evening. As the riders from one race are on their slow down lap they'll have the riders for the next race out on the track ready to go.

There's usually a mix of sprint and endurance events, mens and womens, and elites and juniors, which is great stuff. I've seen a couple of the young cyclists who won senior races at the weekend race as juniors at Revolution events just last year. Here's the programme for the November one (which as others have said is already sold out):

Elite Motor Paced Scratch Race 6Km
    DHL Future Stars Girls Points Race
    Revolution Sprint Round 1 (4 X 2)
    Women’s 10K Points Race
    DHL Future Stars Boys 1 Mile
    Revolution Sprint Semi Finals (2 x2)
    Elite 10k Scratch Race
    DHL Future Stars Girls Scratch Race
    DHL Future Stars Boys Points Race
    Flying 750Mtr Team Sprint Challenge
    Women’s 8K Scratch Race
    Revolution Sprint Losers 1 Mile
    Revolution Sprint Final (1 x2)
    DHL Future Stars Girls 1 Mile
    1Km Madison TT (5 Teams)
    Women’s Devil Scratch Race
    Brad McGee Interview & Presentation
    DHL Future Stars Boys Scratch Race
    Revolution Keirin (1 x 8)
    Elite 20K Points Race

They often have interesting/unusual races. I've only been twice, and have seen tandem sprinting, an Italian pursuit (featuring Geoff Thomas, Martin Johnson and a host of male and female elite sprinters) and 1km madison time trials (the riders do 2 laps each with a madison hand sling in the middle) including Arnaud Tournant paired with Chris Hoy!

They're just great, really enjoyable events.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I went to the same one as Graeme, some of the sprints were full on esp hoy and arnaud...

I'd concur with the other posts - they are really good fun, get there early doors for a good seat
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • iain_j
    You've sold it to me :lol:

I'd better get looking for tickets before they sell out then.
  • iain_j
    Went to Revolution last night - it was ace :D even if we did have to wait in subzero temperatures for half an hour to get in!

Couldn't help noticing a few TV cameras round the top of the track, and interviewers in the track centre catching riders on their way back in. Couldn't find anything on the TV listings tho. Anyone know what that's all about?
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    iain_j wrote:
    Couldn't help noticing a few TV cameras round the top of the track, and interviewers in the track centre catching riders on their way back in. Couldn't find anything on the TV listings tho. Anyone know what that's all about?
    Highlights from the Revolution meetings are shown on Channel M - http://www.channelm.co.uk/sport or SKY 203 and NTL 878 if you've got either of those.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • iain_j
    Great thanks. Do you know when it's on? Channel M's website's not working - can't get the schedules :?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I agree with all the comments here about how good the Revolution meetings are. We've been to them all and they get better and better.

Just like to point out to the more experienced amongst you that for senior citizens (OK we over the hill types) it's only £6 entrance so it's even better value.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster