coxy84
coxy84 Posts: 45
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
hello im doing lejog summer of 09 was wondering what bikes peolpe think
are good to use, touring road or cross.

im concerned that tourers look a bit bulky and slow but at the same time im
sure a road bike would destroy my rrrrss. ive heard some say cross aren t
very good on road or off !

gonna need to take panniers got about 6 to 7 hundred to spend any ideas ?

Comments

• GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    You need to work out first what weight you'll be carrying. If you can pack light (either by investing in very lightweight kit, or opting out of camping), then a strong roadbike should be fine. The Planet X Kaffenback is in your price range and would make a great fast tourer. If you will have a fairly heavy load (say, over about 15 kg), then you will need something a bit tougher and stiffer.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    What about a Condor Heritage or a Condor Fratello, the former is a proper tourer, the latter an audax bike, both steel, both comfy, both take rack and mudguards. The two bikes have the same front triangle, the Heritage has beefier rear stays. There are limits to the weight you can take on an audax bike, if you really overload it the rear end can sway from the bottom bracket. The Heritage got a 9/10 review in C+ last year, they said it was surprisingly fast.

To protect your ar*e I would recommend a Selle Anatomica saddle - many have mocked me on here for my choice, but it IS god's own saddle and you can do 1000 milers in quick time in total comfort.