Cleaning a chain

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
How can I easily clean a chain - Ive those bath things in the past - which I thought were pretty good - but it broke after a few goes - and have heard that these overclean your chain - and get rid of good lubricant.

I have heard that real cyclists soak there chain in a bowl of white spirit, no being mechanical mined, can I just unhook the chain - or do I need a link breaker tool ? - do I have to put back in a certain way ?

(Sorry if these sound like dumb questions)

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    This is discussed regularly, try here.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • kingrollo
    Your link goes to search ?
  • kingrollo
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    kingrollo wrote:
    I think that may be his point
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12592555

Lots of opinion on chain cleaning in the above link.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • simon_e
    alfablue wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    I think that may be his point
    Yep. It ain't difficult. It's a bit like Google, you search and, hey presto, you find.
  • I use a stiff brush and petrol, works a treat. Then i wash the petrol off with water as i clean the rest of the bike.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Simon E wrote:
    This is discussed regularly, try here.

type in chain in the search bar and you only get this post for chains on the first page.
    people will always ask beginner questions about things like this and pointing them to the search is not a great welcome to a forum.

Let people ask the same questions if they want. If you dont like it dont read the post.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    people will always ask beginner questions about things like this and pointing them to the search is not a great welcome to a forum.

Let people ask the same questions if they want. If you dont like it dont read the post.

Fully agree with the above, people can ask for help on any topic they like. If anyone is tired of giving the same answers others will be happy to oblige :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • simon_e
    Let people ask the same questions if they want. If you don't like it dont read the post.
    Is that a request or an order?

I am suggesting the poster uses the Search page, that is what it's for. Is 19 threads matching 'chain cleaning' in the last two weeks not enough? Several people, including me, chipped in on this one in this very forum (Road Beginners) only last week.

Sadly I tire of writing the same thing repeatedly, and probably making a poor job of it in a different way each time. I also don't like regurgitating stuff when it's already there and so easily accessible. There are often useful links, opinions and experiences posted in existing threads. Why go to the trouble to do it all over again a couple of days later? If the subject hadn't been discussed so comprehensively in the last fortnight then I would certainly have felt moved to post something I hope would be of use.

It seems people don't want to have to think, to search, to sift and sort then decide. They want answers. Neat, accurate, definitive answers. "At that price you wanna buy the Bianchi, the Trek is a PoS". That's why so many ask what bike to buy. Fur goodness shakes, can't anyone make a decision any more?
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I use one of those chain bath/brush things with white spirit. Usually twice. Pour water over the chain to remove white spirit residue, dry with a few rags then apply chain lube.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)