Just bought first 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Silver

Cookingongas
Cookingongas Posts: 92
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,
Picked up today, 17" frame without disc brakes! can you convert to Disc or are rim brakes ok, Handlebars seem a bit low, recommend any cow horn type bars. (sorry for vagueness!)

Thanks for your help.

:D

Comments

• You need to check the frame has disc mounts on the fork and rear stays, and that your wheels are disc compatible. If both of these are true you can fit disc brakes.

Rim brakes are fine if properly set up.

Suggest you give yourself a few weeks to get used to the handlebars before changing them. If by cow horn you mean riser bars, you can get these from a number of manufacturers but Easton are good. A 40mm - 50mm rise is probably as much as you'll need for trails.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Wheels can except discs, model of bike is Stumpjumper HT. I rode briefly tonight and it seems a little uncomfortable due to the standard flat type bars. Is this an easy job to replace or do I have to take bike in, I live in Swindon Wilts if you know anyone who could help.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    It's esay to replace them with a riser bar. You need to find out what the diameter of your current bars are - they will be 31.8mm or 25.4mm.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Great thanks for help. Noahs Ark in Stroud is not to far so will check out bars in there. :D
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Well, theres to many to pick.................... any suggestions im 5,10 and 13 stone ! :shock: