help! replacement of parts, what and why?!!

flatonhisarsecoombs
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
hi everyone,

i need to replace my cranks and bottom bracket on my bike. Its a specialzed hardrock pro (2005 frame?!). i would like to run a single front chain ring if that helps!

Main problem is i am a student so have little money! yet would want to spend more on somethig that would last.

Also, recomended tyres?? most of my riding is single track but i do have the odd moments of madness where i attack anything.

quite broad requests i guess but any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Comments

• What is the intended use of the bike, very difficult to help you if we don't know what you're doing with it. Also give us a budget.

For decent VFM get the Deore Hollowtech II Chainset . This comes with BB and cranks. It will come with 3 rings, so you're need another (Assuming you're not using 22,32 or 42 teeth) and also shorter chainring bolts.

Tyre, really need to know your usage to work out what's right, what are you using atm?
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • You'll need a front mech or chain device to hold the chain on, unless your going single speed.
    TBH if your not going single speed, why go for a single front ring? Take the outer ring off and run the two smaller rings and a bash guard.
    Tires? Continental Speed King Supersonic everytime. Expensive, but good XC tires
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • On my silly little bike i have one of these very tough and they seem to be lasting well with the steel ring. It'll work out cheaper than the deore what with needing new chainring bolts, and has a handy bashguard.

For tyres, assuming you don't have too much slop then a panaracer trailraker up front and a razer 2.1" on the back would work well. You might even be able to squeeze a 2.3" rampage on the front which will roll faster for similar levels of dry grip but slightly worse deep mud performance.

If you see a lot of slop, bonty Mud X or trailrakers.
  • On my silly little bike i have one of these very tough and they seem to be lasting well with the steel ring. It'll work out cheaper than the deore what with needing new chainring bolts, and has a handy bashguard.

For tyres, assuming you don't have too much slop then a panaracer trailraker up front and a razer 2.1" on the back would work well. You might even be able to squeeze a 2.3" rampage on the front which will roll faster for similar levels of dry grip but slightly worse deep mud performance.

If you see a lot of slop, bonty Mud X or trailrakers.
  • sorry for the lack of info! thankyou for replying anyway

basicly it would be used for a bit of everything. normally though its single track, street, dirt jumping, have ridden downhill with some mates near where i live too. BBudget for the lot is probably about 70 quid max?! could stretch a little but somewhere in that ball park would be good.

thank again everyone!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why run a single? Stick to double or triple if you are planning to use this bike for all those disciplines.

I'd get a Shimano Deore set up.