MTB riding South East / Sussex Trails rides etc

bunnerscj
bunnerscj Posts: 396
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
Boys and Girls,
Anyone got any good trials in and around Sussex, I am a keen rider, ridden all over the place, Wales -North and South, Glentress Scotland, Bubion Spain (switchbacks), North downs - leith Hill Peaslake etc 8)
However,
Just wanted to know if I am missing any qulaity trails on my doorstep - live just outside Brighton, before you say it 'Friston Forest' - ridden here a few times, the way marking is awful and I get lost each time, the singletrack is poor and there seems little else down this way
Bedgebury forest is also awful
Maybe I have been spoilt with the above riding locatios etc but I am going mad with no where decent to ride when I get the chance !
Any ideas would be great
Thanks everyone :lol:
'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'

Comments

• slap bang on top of the South Downs Way
    One of the mags listed a few rides based out of Stenning way recently, i will see if i can dig it out for you.
  • Do,you,mean,Steyning,not,Stenning?
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • probably
  • good,beacuse,those,rides,would,intrest,me,becuase,i,live,in,steyning,myslef
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • Do you have a big bowl in the area?

I want to say Devils Punch Bowl but thats on the A3,
    AHHHH Devils Dyke

3 Routes in Sept What Mountain Bike
    based out of Devils Dyke car park
    29mile/9mile/and10mile routes

Download routes for free at bikeradar.com
    click routes at the home page
    type wmb in the "search routes" box

well thats what it says in the mag anyway
  • yup,near,devils,dyke
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    If you want a fun downhill, try the bridleway that runs down Devils Dyke, starts on the right if you were following the road and aiming to go down. Just watch out as it gets singletrack width near the bottom with big ruts and if you meet something coming up there could be issues. I had to wait 2 minutes for the slowest of our group when I did it :lol:
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    there is a big dry valley at Devils Dyke, which runs parallel with the SDW from the road, going east, on the downhill into it you can top 40mph easily,

i do a route around the SDW out of Brighton, Devils Dyke, Ditchling Beacon, Falmer, Stanmer, Patcham, Devils Dyke, Brighton, 30 miler,

lots of gates, lots of walkers and horse riders, its busy cos your right next to a city, its not great compared to where you have been, Stanmer has some fun single tracks, but again its virtually a city park, dog walkers and dog poop, plus your not strictly allowed to ride the footpaths,
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    You should come to Friston and keep your eyes open... none of the singletrack is sign posted because it's not officially built and that way if a section get's unrideable because of mud or is just boring it can be covered over and a new stretch laid.

Also, there's loads of proper out on the hills XC riding in the area, just get a map and ride... Most of the paths in the area are bridleways anyway.

Normally I do a loop from Seaford -> Bo Peep carpark (or France Bottom) -> Alfriston -> Lullington -> Jevington -> Eastbourne ->Friston for a couple of hours -> Seaford. Usually works out at 30-50 miles depending on the weather and how I feel.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Vegeeta
    Oh yeah.. before you say the singletrack is poor in Friston.. make sure you've found all of it first eh ;)
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

• breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Yes, the 2 mile bit that starts just off the "official" xc route is brilliant. If you are feeling up to it, its ok coming back up as well as not that much of a gradient but going the right way, that downhill at the end is mad. Spent a good house there before doing it over and over heh
  • Vegeeta
    The downhill that goes out onto the road you mean?

I'm going tomorrow (Sunday 16th) if anyone's interested.
    Rule 64:

• hi mate there are quite a few places that can be found just need to keep ya ear to the ground, and eyes peeled on the net. theres some downhill in steyning itself i have a map for location i have been once before looks good but it started to get dark on me so i could not carry on. also there is wild park in brighton with downhill pump track and north shore. friston forest is good i do enjoy this place as long as you know where to look thanks 14yr old boy lol. last on my list is tilgate forest which has lots to offer and have some pretty big gaps and stuff up there. give us a shout if ya need more info i have not been riding for a while due to weather etc work but i just got me some winter gear and light so im all ready if ya need sombody to show ya , all my mates indoors smoking green lol
  • TonyS
    TonyS Posts: 104
    1. Consider riding with one of the local clubs who know the best routes in the area, brightonmtb.org would probably suit and should help you revise your opinion.

2. Go West on the SDW to Whiteways

As Vegeeta says ride and keep your eyes open, people tend not to advertise the best trails!