any good trails in hampshire?

tv
tv Posts: 338
edited February 2012 in Routes
any good trails in hampshire/wiltshire? well near anyway!

Comments

• Not much that way, more in south hampshire, I'd grab an OS map and look at linking up some decent bits of bridleway.
  • tv
    tv Posts: 338
    where in south hampshire?
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Good place to start would be QE Park near Peterfield, you can do the trails in there then head out East on the SDW and pick up various bridal paths and bits of single track out there to build a loop back to the park. If you wanted to do a longer ride you could head SE from there down to Stoughton/Kingly Vale which has some great riding and then back to the park.

Like ride_whenever said your best bet is to look at an OS map and link up bridal paths etc to make a good loop, there are plently of bridal ways in that area, some of which are great riding. Word of advice from a local, it will be very muddy in the valley's so be prepared to get caked in it :) I would avoid the bridal path from West Harting Down that heads south to Compton down at this time of year, it can be un-ridable.
  • Ed-91
    Ed-91 Posts: 8
    if your looking for some fun trails then the area around pepper box hill south of salisbury has some good bits, i do a really good ride from there all the way to Fritham in the new forest, you can do it all offroad apart from 1km through redlynch.

there is a really cool wooded section which is about 3 miles long, its really good fun and has some nice technical parts. There are some killer hills to get up but you get to go down most of them on the way back.
  • dobs
    dobs Posts: 1
    Ed-91 i'd be really interested in the exact route you do from pepperbox to fritham, or more detail on the location of the wood, a gps/memory map would be great or even google map.

other decent mtb areas in hampshire would be farley mount and surrounding areas and also lordswood, purbecks in Dorset is great but further a field.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Where are you?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • maddmatt
    maddmatt Posts: 166
    Are the trails in Lordswood easy enough for a non-local to find? And is there much XC orientated stuff there?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    There's plenty of XC in Lordswood, but while you can probably follow your nose and find stuff, you really need someone who knows the place to show you around.
    BingMaps-DrivingDirectionsTrafficandRoadConditions-MozillaFirefoxIBMEdition13022012141406.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building